Thread: Panic mode

Panic mode

I had an appt today and it was to do with ongoing back pain....my friend was supposed to come with me but she couldn't make it. So I had to go on my own and once I got there, I just went in to panic mode. My heart was racing, I was shaking, had to work to control my breathing and just wanted to cry, whilst I was in waiting area and it wasn't even a bad appt! Why am I like this?! I just felt ridiculous. Anxiety has really increased these last few weeks

Hunni, I totally get it. Anxiety sucks. Do you have coping mechanisms to help? Grounding? Breathing exercises? Etc
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

I have some grounding techniques, yes...was trying to work on breathing when this happened. It's so silly, isn't it. I never used to be like this

I am a very logically minded person and for many years I tried to find a logical explanation for a completely illogical condition. Anxiety is basically a heightened sense of danger. We are over compensating to protect ourselves from perceived threats. Everyone is different but for me I found graded exposure therapy very useful. It never “cured” my anxiety, and I now know that other things which I can’t really control were a contributing factor but I can control how I react and GET gave me tools to try and combat it and as a result along with other aids I am now able to do thinks that a few years ago seemed totally out of reach.