Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saying goodbye

Saying goodbye

I understand that not everyone logs on here at the same time, so I've opened this thread up for everyone to leave their memories, their good stories and the bad - so that we can say goodbye in our own way.

It's really hard to say goodbye to someone who's lived their lives to the fullest and have their whole lifetime behind them. It's so much more difficult to say goodbye to someone who had so much life ahead of her. The physical shock and pain that we are feeling is a natural reaction when someone who was just talking to us on Monday should be gone now.

Please leave your stories here, and if anyone would like to raise a glass to Suzi's memory, I'm sure no one will mind.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to magie06 For This Useful Post:

Jaquaia (25-04-23)

One of the very last conversations we had was just a rambling one really about how were we, how were the kids etc. But the very last thing she said was ‘it’s lovely to be loved’. And she was so loved, by so many people, around the world. My brother said to me this morning, ‘her light may not have shone for as long as it should, but she shone brightly’.
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

Jaquaia (25-04-23),magie06 (22-04-23),selena (23-04-23)

I've thanked Suzi so often for being there. And she always was here. She read every single one of the posts here and answered every one. She always played down her help, and said she was just the one waving the pom poms. So today, dear friend I'm waving my pom poms towards the heavens and hope that you can see them.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to magie06 For This Useful Post:

Jaquaia (25-04-23),Paula (22-04-23),selena (23-04-23),Strugglingmum (23-04-23)

Suzi was the most incredible person I ever had the honour of meeting. There simply aren’t the words to fully describe just how special she was. It’s not an exaggeration to say that she changed my life. I loved that woman so much.

I’ve been thinking about her and some of the stories she shares. Especially the time she made Marc a fish finger curry. That always made me laugh. She could’ve lived too a hundred and still not convinced me that sprout lasagne was something I had to try.

She had some hard times earlier in her life and where some would’ve gone off the rails she did the opposite. She channeled her energy into good, helping people around the world and literally saving lives. She was a real life superhero or as she put it, “I’m just Suzi sitting on my sofa”. Always downplaying the good that she did.

She introduced me to the musical Rent and I was hooked. We had a lot in common where music was involved, both having eclectic tastes and willing to give anything a listen. Her movie chooses left a lot to be desired. I’m scarred for life after being subjected to Swiss Army Man and VelocoPastor.

I have so many memories of Suzi, and guess that makes me really lucky. I still have Christmas Gift in the house for her that I never got round to sending and now she’ll never get them. I may have screwed up our friendship but I was always grateful for having her in my live and appreciated everything she ever did for me. The past 6 months have been so difficult not hearing that cheery little “allo love” when she answered the phone. Just hearing her voice was enough to brighten any day and now I will never hear it again.

I could go on forever about how special Suzi was and how privileged I am to have been alive on this rock at the same time as her. She will forever live in my heart.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SJW180 For This Useful Post:

Jaquaia (25-04-23),magie06 (22-04-23),Paula (22-04-23),selena (23-04-23)

Walker extraordinaire!
    I dont even know where to start to express how deeply thankful I am for Suzi.
    Suzi embodied love and acceptance. No matter what, I knew Suzi would never judge me for my thoughts, mistakes, feelings. I was always met with true compassion, often with a gentle (or not so gentle) nudge to stay hopeful, to believe in myself and to keep fighting. Her PMs in really tough times often saved me from doing something I might regret. It's not an over exaggeration to say that I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for Suzi and this forum. Thank you Suzi. You were truly one of a kind and I feel blessed to have known you.
    Check out my Calandoniacrochet Facebook page.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Strugglingmum For This Useful Post:

Jaquaia (25-04-23),magie06 (23-04-23),Paula (23-04-23),SJW180 (23-04-23)

Librarian and chief holder of antiquities and biscuits Jaquaia's Avatar
    I've been thinking about this for a couple of days, and to be honest, I don't think words will ever do her justice. From the moment I joined, she has been one of my fiercest cheerleaders. She has always been there with kind words no matter what. She always had my back, even if it was just to agree that life could be shit. She encouraged me to believe in myself and always had faith in me and my abilities. I always remember her ringing me as she was worried about me, and she was so easy to talk to, and that's probably why this place works so well, as that translates to here. She was one of the most compassionate, warm-hearted individuals you could ever hope to meet. She was kind and giving and just thoroughly lovely. When she knew I was getting married, she messaged me and asked if she could make my garter, and I was beyond honoured.

I'm gutted I don't get to celebrate my day with her, I'm sad I don't get to laugh at her pretending she didn't know I'm getting married anymore. I miss her, but I feel blessed to have known her.
    Tên përdu, jhamâi së rëcôbro

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaquaia For This Useful Post:

magie06 (26-04-23),SJW180 (26-04-23)

I had just stopped crying, Jaq!
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Librarian and chief holder of antiquities and biscuits Jaquaia's Avatar
    Good job we have plenty of tissues
    Tên përdu, jhamâi së rëcôbro

As we get nearer and nearer Friday, I've been reading the posts on the Facebook page and I have to admit, the tears were falling. Even after the last few weeks, it's difficult to think that Suzi has really gone. But just reading her hints and tips on almost everything, but especially about surviving the difficult days, she is still always in a corner of my heart.
    Suzi may be gone from our physical world, but while DWD is here in this corner of the internet, she will never be forgotten.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to magie06 For This Useful Post:

SJW180 (08-05-23)

No, never forgotten.

I cried when looking through her fb page the other night, today while preparing my fb post for Friday, and at quite random moments. Suzi was so special and no one can, or will, ever replace her. She lodged herself in my heart and, even when the grief is less raw, she will never leave.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

SJW180 (08-05-23)