Thread: Tinnitus

Tinnitus

Help talk to me about tinnitus it’s driving me potty!

So bit of back ground I have hypothyroidism and vitiligo I’m also on that wonderful peri menopausal bracket too. I’ve suffered intermittent tinnitus for years but over the last few months it’s become a permanent fixture.

Managed to get a gp appointment today about it and they couldn’t see anything that was directly causing it such as a wax build up or signs of infection so now I’m being referred for a hearing test. I do struggle a bit if someone speaks softly or mumbles or if there’s a lot of background noise. I also find masks make things worse i obviously lip read more than I thought!

So anyone got any good strategies for dealing with this persistent ringing in my ears?

I have tinnitus but it’s caused by fluid around my brain, so can’t really be helped. However, my dad has very similar symptoms to you and he’s now got hearing aids which have really helped. As I understand it, if he can’t hear properly externally, the internal tinnitus seems a lot louder. I believe at night he has rain sounds to help
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

Mummyhill (09-02-23)

I have similar - that's why in my house there's always a tv or music playing otherwise it drives me mad!
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

Mummyhill (09-02-23)

Quote Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
    I have similar - that's why in my house there's always a tv or music playing otherwise it drives me mad!
    Even with tv or music in the background it’s still fairly prominent and driving me slowly up the wall

I totally understand, I think I've been living with it for so long that I don't know what it would be like without it anymore...
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

I've had tinnitus for years. Sometimes it's so bad it wakes me up. I was to have a hearing test, but the day it was scheduled for, was the day everything closed down for covid. I always have something switched on in the background because I'd go mad in the silence.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to magie06 For This Useful Post:

Suzi (11-02-23)