Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Evening everyone

Evening everyone

A dark cloud rather sums up how I feel. I’m taking meds and waiting for therapy.

Feel like there’s not a lot more I can do.

Any tips?

Hi and welcome to the group.

How long have you been taking meds? Do you have a good support system around you?
    Are you keeping up with the basics - eating sensibly, not drinking alcohol, getting some exercise?
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Hi and welcome! Well done for asking for the help you need, I hope you don’t have to wait too long for therapy. What meds are you on and when was the last time you had a meds review?
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Hi and welcome to DWD.

As for things you can do one popular option is mindfulness meditation. It takes a bit of time to get used to it but there are loads of guided meditations available for free on YouTube and takes as little as just 10 mins.

Also looking after the basics is really important and often difficult when you are struggling. Maintaining a routine around eating, drinking, taking meds, and showering actually helps more than you realise. It may not feel like you are doing much because it’s something we take for granted when we are well but it’s so easy to let it slip.

Finally exercise is recommended. You don’t have to push to your limits in the gym but just a gentle walk outside and noticing your surroundings can help if that’s all to can manage.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stella180 For This Useful Post:

Paula (10-06-22)

Thanks for all your welcomes and responses.

Being honest, before last week, I’d not taken meds for about a year. So I’m probably a few more weeks away from feeling the effects of them. My GP prescribed me 50mg Sertraline for four weeks. I’ve booked another appointment for the end of the mont.

In terms of exercise, I’ve started playing football on a Monday night and I walk back and to from work every day. I could maybe walk a bit more on the weekend. Sometimes I can get very bored, especially now the football season has finished, and I could do with some new activities and ideas for things to do.

As for food, I could definitely do with improving that, as I’m having far too many takeaways and alcohol and bad things like that. I’ve put quite a bit of weight on recently and that in itself doesn’t make me feel good. I do try and keep a routine and being in work helps sign that.

My support network is good as I have a very supportive partner who I live with and I know I can also speak to other family and friends.

You’re doing great. One thing, though, alcohol is a depressant and will stop your sertraline properly doing its job, so it’d be worth thinking about how much you’re drinking
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Totally agree with Paula, it's great that you're talking to those around you and getting support. Brilliant that you've been to the Dr and restarted meds and have a follow up appointment booked. I also have an issue with alcohol - one every now and then isn't a problem, but best to stay off it while it gets into your system properly x

Good advice re the alcohol.

I do try and limit it to a few on weekends but if it’s better to stop completely to allow the meds to work properly, then that’s something I can try.

It's definitely something to give a good go at.
    Hope you've had a good day....

Will do, Suzi.

I’ve had a good day thanks. Drove down to see my mum and dad today and staying overnight. We went on a nice walk before and they cooked us a good meal.

Hope your day was good!