Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do we ever get rid of depression

Do we ever get rid of depression

Do we ever get better? Or once we have depression is it always going to follow us around and drag us down. Like with my asthma, I always have asthma but I don't have symptoms every day. I take preventatives every day and wjen it flares up I take my reliever inhaler. Something I have been taking a lot more of lately and need to get in touch with Dr. Ive had depression on and off since my teenage years, although it wasn't first diagnosed until I was 19. I've had times when the depression and anxiety is mild and manageable and other times when I am fighting to stop sinking. Right now I'm struggling. I've been quiet from posting for a few months. I've been avoiding dealing with my thoughts because it's been too much. I feel extremely guilty and ashamed of myself for many reasons. One of the main reasons is because I can see the effect of my illness has on DD. And she's struggling herself. I'm still on long term sick leave due to various health issues. Depression and anxiety just being a part of it. I've no idea when I will be ready to return to work. Whenever someone asks me I feel awful and don't like having to explain myself. I may look ok. I may sound ok. But I'm not ok. I do not like me. I do not want to be me. I am angry with me. Ashamed of me. And I've had enough. But I feel so guilty and ashamed of these thoughts and feelings when I see so many people suffering right now. I keep telling myself to stop these thoughts and try to get on. But I can't. I'm struggling to function normally.

Hi love. Are you still talking to counsellors/psych and your GP?
    When did you have a meds review last?
    Is DD having any help?
    Are you taking care of the basics - eating, drinking and getting exercise?
    Alcohol?
    Sorry lots of questions...
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

shine (24-03-22)

I could have written that post, particularly recently . As to your question, some of us do, some of us (like you and me) don’t. It’s shit tbh but I also firmly believe it makes us stronger. Just getting through the day is often a massive task so never, never underestimate what you do every single day to even get out of bed.
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

shine (24-03-22)

Meds not been reviewed for ages. I got discharged from MH nurse ages ago. Finished CBT ages ago. Currently in group therapy via mh services which is helping and is supportive. Dd been referred to cahms but I've been told a long wait. Just been feeling so low today and still not dressed. I joined gym on Monday as part of an exercise referral scheme from NHS and get discount prices and a tailored routine. I keep telling myself I will go today. I need to find that motivation as I know it will make me feel better. I think at the moment my anxiety is worse than the depression although I know they both trigger each off. I'm shaking alot. Feel on edge. Irritable. And panicky. It's so hard to stop these symptoms. I'll speak to gp next week as my sick note will need reviewing. I need to push myself to get fit for work. But I'm no better than when I first went off 5 months ago
    Last edited by shine; 24-03-22 at 12:59 PM.

When you speak to your GP, will you ask for a meds review, please?
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

shine (25-03-22)

Are you able to build up a routine for yourself?
    Are you spending most of your time in bed?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

shine (25-03-22)

Not spending all day in bed. Some days are harder than others to get up. Today I pushed myself out of bed by 10.45 and got dressed. Yesterday was much harder.

Well done for getting up today! What are you doing during your days?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

shine (30-03-22)

I'm trying to crochet when I can. Only managing small projects because of my concentration. I started the mindless crochet blanket weeks ago but struggling to pick that one up at the moment. So I'm just making hearts and cards etc. Try to do some housework but that overwhelms me and I give up. I've joined the gym and aiming to go twice a week.

How are you doing at getting up each day? What are you doing during your day?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

shine (03-04-22)