Thread: CBT

CBT

I start a trauma CBT group on the 23rd and even though I've been reading a lot about it. I'd like to hear from people that have done CBT and if they found it helped them or not. Thanks

Yes, I’ve had CBT and I found it very helpful. As I know many, many others have too. However, mine was not trauma based so I have to add a note that the therapy I had will probably look different to the therapy you’re having.

How do you feel about it so far?
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

I’ve had difficult experiences with CBT. I really struggled with it but that was before I learned I was on the autism spectrum and that CBT can be counter productive with autistic people.

Walker extraordinaire!
    I have had trauma based CBT and have found it very helpful.
    As with any therapy, its hard work and you only get out of it what you put in. There is certainly nothing to lose by giving it a try but dont think that 1 session is enough to gauge by.
    Dealing with any trauma is a long hard slog!!
    Check out my Calandoniacrochet Facebook page.

I've had trauma based therapy in a group - over zoom... SM is right, it's like any therapy you have to practise the techniques over and over and over and over when you don't "need" them, so that in the time you do they are ready to be used productively. Definitely give it a go, but don't assume it's going to be a quick fix kind of thing. It takes time to undo the years that trauma is in the control seat....
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Had first CBT yesterday. It was more just listening than anything else, print outs sent over and tasks set for before next session on the 2nd March. Taken a bit of a dip recently and I'm not sure what to do. I havent spoken to my Dr since mid Dec. Can I ask him to increase my sertraline?

You can always ask for a meds review. CBT can start a little differently to what you are expecting, but you only get out of it what you put in... I know that sounds tough....
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!