Thread: Difficult wait

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Difficult wait

Finding the wait and not even knowing how long the wait will be for therapy difficult...not just because of my "off days" but because I feel like the longer I wait, the harder I'm going to find it be able to even start going into things. I kinda feel like the "window of opportunity " for me to talk is passing....I don't know if that sounds strange but it's like, When I was first doing the appts/referral etc, although I was getting myself into a bit of a state on phonecalls etc, it made me think more about actually talking about things and now because I haven't spoken to anyone since the assessment on the 22nd Dec.....I don't know, I'm babbling here but I wasn't expecting to be met with such a wait. I feel like I've just been left to it now. I don't know if this sounds daft or not

I get that, you kinda talk yourself out of doing it. My suggestion is to write things down. How you’re feeling, what is affecting you. It doesn’t have to be a novel just a couple of lines about what’s in your head. By the time your appointment comes through you will be able to look it this or pass it to your therapist and start the conversation that way.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stella180 For This Useful Post:

Suzi (30-01-22)

Quote Originally Posted by Stella180 View Post
    I get that, you kinda talk yourself out of doing it. My suggestion is to write things down. How you’re feeling, what is affecting you. It doesn’t have to be a novel just a couple of lines about what’s in your head. By the time your appointment comes through you will be able to look it this or pass it to your therapist and start the conversation that way.
    Hi there. For what it's worth I totally agree on Stella's comments. It is difficult to wait, especially when you're emotionally ready but the mechanics of the appointment aren't timely.

I'm in a similar position now. I completely understand the window of opportunity metaphor. I've had therapy multiple times send to derive best benefit you do need to be in the correct fre of mind, as it's hard work.

I'm writing down bullet points and a spider diagram for when I'm seen. It will deffo jog your memory and help the therapist, and you when you have your sessions.

Good luck and chase them up if needs be.

Xx

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mattypompy For This Useful Post:

Suzi (30-01-22)

Talking here will help, and also give you a ‘diary’ of sorts to pass on to your therapist itms. You aren’t alone, lovely
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

Suzi (30-01-22)

Also keep a mood diary - then you can actually show them the tracking of your mood, which will help...
    FWIW I've had an assessment for therapy, then a few months later a "holding group therapy" where you don't talk about your own issues, it's purely biological info etc and grounding exercises and then told the actual wait to see a 1:1 therapist is expected to be years. So I do understand, but honestly I think you need to work on things to help yourself - grounding, breathing exercises, mindfulness, meditation etc and get yourself in the best place possible.. That was the advice I was given....
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!