Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: So low. Don't know what to do...

Quote Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
    It's good that you're talking more, it's nice being able to get to know you a bit more.
    I'm glad that you're involving people - asking for help. That's really hard, so it's great you are doing it.

What's the sleep apnoea surgery?
    Thanks Suzi my lovely.
    Taken me years to get to this point in potential treatment. Think I've had OSA for at least 20 years. It's incredibly unhealthy as Paula will tell you.

In answer to your question. There's about 25 different ops they can do. It depends on the individual characteristics of each individual. For me I have multifactorial areas of obstruction.

They did my nose. Now I'm scheduled for a double tonsillectomy and maybe a uvalaplasty to begin with. Then possibly a more invasive painful op, which clearly I'd like to avoid.

How do you manage yours Paula?

Incidentally, got any quick coping techniques for negative thinking? I have a bit today, and ruminating.

Of course I hope your all well.

M xx

I’ve responded well to the CPAP machine (thankfully).

Do you practise mindfulness or meditation? I find both very helpful for when my thoughts run away with me
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

Suzi (28-01-22)

My Mum has Sleep Apnoea too. Hers has been untreated for so long that she's really poorly... So it's definitely something you should get sorted asap...

I'm a huge fan of breathing or grounding exercises and mindfulness, meditation and thai chi!
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

CPAP is not a pleasant piece on equipment to use but it beats surgery hands down. Always takes a while to get used to, I remember having pain in my chest like a pulled muscle and the first couple of days using it I guess because my lungs went actually working properly throughout the night. When I was monitored I was “waking” upto 120 per hour!!! I stuck with it and the difference it has made to my life is incredible.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stella180 For This Useful Post:

Mattypompy (29-01-22),Suzi (28-01-22)

My Mum has Sleep Apnoea too. Hers has been untreated for so long that she's really poorly... So it's definitely something you should get sorted asap...

I'm a huge fan of breathing or grounding exercises and mindfulness, meditation and thai chi!
    Hey. Sorry about your mum Suzi. Often goes undiagnosed and treated. It's good you're getting some effective treatment with the cpap Paula. I have moderate asthma and just couldn't get used to the pressure against my exhalation, plus of course the Alien face hugging mask! I tried for about 2 months. I have an AHI of 60 on my back.

Cheers for the acute treatment suggestions. I often use bodysuit mindfulness, some breathing exercises when having an anxiety attack. I've also done some grounding exercises with stones at a clinic before. Thai Chi sounds interesting...

I was reading article about rumination and this Dr was extolling the virtues of just not engaging or trying to solve any thought that pops up, he thought mindfulness was a 'bad distraction' method. Not sure really.

That's interesting Stella that you have got such relief.

Can you tell me what sort of difference it has made to your life? Other people have said the same. Gives you more energy, lightens your mood, lose weight etc. Sounds good...

I love mindfulness and meditation. I also am an avid fan of The F**k It Theory by John C Parkin...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

Mattypompy (01-02-22)

Quote Originally Posted by Mattypompy View Post
    That's interesting Stella that you have got such relief.

Can you tell me what sort of difference it has made to your life? Other people have said the same. Gives you more energy, lightens your mood, lose weight etc. Sounds good...
    I too have asthma I totally get what you mean about the pressure. I struggled with insomnia for a long while and started taking meds which was knocking me out for approximately 8hrs but I was still tired and lethargic and taking naps during the day. Initially it was awkward with the mask and trying to get comfortable at night but once I got past that I was actually able to get up in the morning and actually feel refreshed, to actually sleep properly at night was amazing. My energy levels have definitely risen from before and able to keep going all day I don’t know about weight loss, that’s not something I’ve seen but I suppose being less tired and more active leads to weight loss. Obviously with depression, lethergy can be a symptom so it may be hard to notice a change and I still do have bad times where I feel tired a like my limbs weight 3 times as much at normal and I have the mental and emotional exhaustion but it’s a little easier to fight back from those symptoms when you’re sleep is regulated. Same nights I have forgotten to use the CPAP and boy do I know about it the next day cos I feel exhausted.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stella180 For This Useful Post:

Mattypompy (01-02-22),Paula (29-01-22),Suzi (30-01-22)

I love mindfulness and meditation. I also am an avid fan of The F**k It Theory by John C Parkin...
    Sounds hilarious, I must check it out.

That's great that you made so much progress with the cpap. Apparently OSA can cause, heart disease, stroke, high cholesterol, hypertension, metabolic syndrome. So deffo important to get it treated.

I'm not locking forward to my throat being dissected but this guy is the top one in the UK apparently. Been waiting an eon though. My GP screwed up the referral for 6 months!

Xx

It's brilliant, it takes lots of bite of other practices and puts them together. I actually find it really useful!

How are things lovely?