Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I've been referred to the mental health team

I've been referred to the mental health team

What is it about speaking to my Dr that makes me cry 🙄 Just spent half my appt crying down the phone &#129318swear)♀️ My sertraline has been upped to 100mg and I've been referred to the mental health team. How long does a MH referral usually take? What will their assessment entail?

Sorry you're struggling lovely, but I'm really glad you've had that referral made. I can't give you a timescale as it very much depends on where you are in the country... The assessment will just be talking things through with someone and finding out what support would be the best for you...
    It is actually a positive thing.
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Well done for being honest with your doctor
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

I have a mental health assessment on the 25th Oct. Aside from the MH worker, who else would be able to see what I've spoken about? Will just be MH worker?

It depends who you allow them to share it with... They might ask if they can share info with your Dr.

From my current experience when they assess you they discuss the type of therapy to offer you and put you on the waiting list. From my initial referral to starting CBT I waited around 2 months for the assessment then another 6 months for CBT. I was however offered sooner if I was happy to have a trainee therapist but that would have involved being recorded on the video call. I didn't like the sound of that so I waited. They should also be able to offer you self help programmes you can use while you are waiting. There is one called silver cloud.
    The assessment will take a detailed history of any previous mental health illnesses if any and discuss what your symptoms are now. They will assess if you are at risk of sh or suicide so don't be alarmed by some questions that they have to ask. Most important thing is to be honest and tell them exactly what is happening. Best of luck.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to shine For This Useful Post:

Suzi (10-10-21)

Mental health assessment on monday

I can't stop thinking about it! About what questions I'm going to have to answer / How open I'm going to have to be with them and I'm finding the thought of it scary because once I've said things, they can't be taken back. I'm worried about my friends and family finding out....worried they'll get social services involved....worried I won't be believed about anything because I'm still in contact with my brothers....I'm just scared about it. Scared of getting a diagnosis

Hunni, I’ve moved your post into your previous thread as it follows on, and so allows others to see the history to it itms

Love, I know this is scary - it’s the unknown. But the assessment is just that so you won’t need to go into too much detail at this stage. They’ll then talk with you about next steps. Remember, it’s a collaborative process and you won’t be pushed any further than you can cope with

Your friends and family won’t find out you’re having this assessment unless you tell them. Why are you worried social services will be involved? As for a diagnosis, again that’s unlikely to happen at assessment stage but if and when you do, it’s a good thing as it’ll allow your team to work out what’s the best way they can help you
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Paula's right. Try not to worry. Just remember that the team has only your best interests at heart and you won't be bombarded with questions and made to feel awkward. MH teams are sensitive to your feelings and aren't there to judge you and I think you'll feel hugely relieved afterwards having got stuff off your chest. They're going to be there for you not against you. you'll be just fine.

Paula and Flo are totally right! Sweetheart what is said stays there if that's what you want. Talk to them, tell them what you're feeling and what fears you have.