Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: I've been referred to the mental health team

Ok guys, so you're all probably about done with me now �� I got a message from Healthy Minds 3 days ago, asking me to call to schedule and appointment for a more in depth assessment to see how they can help me....I still haven't managed to make the call to them yet �� why can't i just do it....seriously? why does it seem so hard?!

Walker extraordinaire!
    You know what?
    Taking the step to actually take control of your mental well being and grasping hold of that help.... that's the bravest (and best) thing you'll do.
    But yes it's hard, all of us have struggled to take that step at some point, it's scary and may feel like you have opened a can of worms you would rather leave closed.
    Thing is.... that's not working, that's why you have become unwell. If you are serious about wanting to feel better and improving your mental health it takes you to be brave and make that choice.
    It also means you need to be prepared to take an active part in your recovery and engage with services.
    If you are not ready to do that then maybe this isn't the right time for you, but unless you deal with your demons things are not likely to improve much with medication alone. It's tough but I believe in you, you can do it.
    Check out my Calandoniacrochet Facebook page.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strugglingmum For This Useful Post:

Jaquaia (02-12-21),Suzi (02-12-21)

Why do you think we'd be "done" with you?
    It's incredibly difficult to make those calls, but I know you can do it.
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Managed to keep my composure for the most part. It took a round half hour. Told them about the sexual abuse but I didn't really feel comfortable telling them it was my 2 brothers....so I just said the people that abused me weren't around any more and also didn't want to go in to the eating disorder either but I think she would of already know that from when I told the MH nurse....maybe that detail can be added later? Maybe I've started off on the wrong foot, I don't know? I start high intensity CBT group session in Feb and am on the wait list for trauma focused therapy, which she said there is a long wait list for, so could be a few months....just glad that assessment is over now!

If you don’t tell them the truth they can’t help you effectively so you are wasting your time and theirs. I know it’s not easy to talk about these things that make you feel vulnerable but holding it all inside isn’t helping you so you need to get it out.

I do agree that if you only give them part information they can't help completely.... I know it's really hard to talk about, but it is so important....

I will tell them it all when I'm assigned a therapist....I just found it hard to come out with today.

That's fair enough. You've done brilliantly by going and telling them anything. You should be proud of yourself for doing that, and you should try to be kind to you for the rest of the day and tomorrow at least as the "anxiety hangover" as we call it in my house is going to be tough...