Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: World Mental Health Day 2021

Post 9:

This is a brilliant post by Paula. As always, please be mindful in your comments.
    Suzi x

‘I talk about my mental health on this page a lot so I’m not going to do that this World Mental Health Day. Today, I’m going to talk about perceptions and reality.

Whether it’s because someone really doesn’t understand what mental health issues are, or they’ve been fed by the media to believe that someone who is mentally unwell is dangerous or unpredictable (when in actual fact that person is far more likely to have harm done to them), perceptions of mental health are often completely wrong, leading to discrimination and stigma at one end of the spectrum, or being let down by a friend when you needed them (which probably hurts more) at the other. Most of us with mental health issues have faced being told to ‘get a grip’ or to ‘stop bringing others down’, or asked ‘what have you got to be depressed about’ or even being told, ‘but you don’t LOOK depressed’.

Those are some of the perceptions but the reality is very different. I’ve talked to hundreds of people over the years who struggle with mental health illness and I can honestly say that the reality is extraordinary people who battle serious illness every day and yet are still:

- warm
    - caring
    - loving
    - genuine
    - strong
    - kind
    - willing to put others first
    - desperate, often, to work (though far less likely to be offered a job due to stigma)
    - fighting, with huge amounts of courage, to get through each day
    - much more likely to push themselves beyond what they should to hide how they’re feeling
    - facing hell every day, but often without the support they need from friends, family, doctors and society

Far from being the people in our society that are brushed under the carpet in embarrassment, our society should be singing from the rooftops how AWESOME you all are! ‘Mentally stable’ people could learn a thing or several from you all!’

Paula

#worldmentalhealthday2021 #depression #dealingwithdepression #WMHD #WMHD2021

Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Post 10:

What do you think: Social Media?
    Currently we can be found on the forum www.dealingwithdepression.co.uk and on here. We used to have a twitter page and it has been suggested that people might like us to start it back up again. I have also been asked if we would consider running an Instagram account too. So, I thought I'd ask you all what you think? which social media platforms do you want to see Dealing with Depression on?
    https://forms.gle/gbxjbsSMaDHtjcrP6
    Suzi

Post 11:

Thank you all so much for being part of our World Mental Health Day 2021. Thank you to everyone who has interacted or shared one of our posts - or posts by anyone who is raising awareness, fighting the stigma and fighting for equality for all when it comes to Mental Health support, diagnosis and treatment. There is such a long way to go, but by sharing this, as you have done today, you are helping to be that change.
    If you ever fancy a chat on the forum, or know someone who might need us then please, know that everyone is welcomed and supported with no judgement. www.dealingwithdepression.co.uk where you can be as anon as you need to be.
    This is the last post of the day, but stay with us as we've got more planned over the week/s ahead!
    Suzi x

Thanks for sharing them all here. You know what FB is like for losing things and this way I didn’t miss anything. Didn’t realise just how long my “story” was. Note to self, next year keep it concise.

Glad it's been something you've enjoyed. Thank you for your story, it was kind of you to share. Thank you love.