Page 45 of 55 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: At a loose end

What does J say about it all?
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Librarian and chief holder of antiquities and biscuits Jaquaia's Avatar
    The same as me. He gets incredibly frustrated with him as he knows he's clever, he just hides it well!
    Tên përdu, jhamâi së rëcôbro

I assume you've told his tutor/head of year/pastoral support?

J has discussed it with his teachers on parents evening. The issue is, T does enough to get by as it isn't the best school...

It's a difficult one. The school ours went to isn't the best either, but I made it very clear that they need to expect more from them!

It's a difficult age too, maybe let him settle and deal with the consequences...

How are you?

The grammar school is a much better school but Cruella didn't want him to go there as J went there, and she listened to her sister who has no idea about the schools in Beverley. J was completely ignored and Thomas couldn't be bothered to research the schools as they said it was his choice.

I'm a lot better but still coughing.

Mind you, I went to one of the worst schools in town (no joke - the first school in history to be chucked out of a certain away trip venue for drugs) and came out with amazing results. But he’s got to put the work in. If he’s got the ability, it’d be so a shame for him to ruin it. Easier said than done, Katie was on the verge of flunking her art but had to wake up to it on her own in the end. She didnt listen to us. Thankfully, she pulled her finger out and got an A though even her teacher did t know how. It can be done
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

My school was the worst in Hull and the reputation was so bad it changed its name the year I started. It had a 12% pass rate at GCSE for my year and a lot of that was down to me! I know how hard I had to work as half the teachers weren't willing to teach things at the level needed for the higher paper. I think this is why I'm so blunt with him at times, as being gentle is having no effect at all!

Maybe you could try an amnesty with him? Maybe you'll ask once if he has homework each day, and then it's up to him as to whether he does it or not... Or go the other way and try it so that he needs to write down all the homework he has and it can be ticked off the list?

He has a planner but doesn't use it and has even been forging his mum's signature... His school use something called class charts and J has given me parental access, so I can see all negative remarks teachers make about his conduct and all homework that's been set. I ask him, if he answers no then he gets asked why he hasn't been checking, if he answers yes he gets told to get on with it. He usually hangs himself. We've even started telling him that he can't watch the TV when Moo goes up to bed until his bag is sorted for school the next day. Consequences.