Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Struggling

Struggling

Hello everyone,

I'm aman who has suffered from anxiety and deep depression for many years on and off and am struggling with being really low and very anxious today.

I don't know what to do.

I went out last night with my older sister and she has a habit of being very verbally abusive sometimes, especially while drinking.

I have struggled to find work recently due to my depression and severe social anxiety. She criticised me about that and essentially said I was worthless.

I feel so low and insignificant today and have racing and intrusive thoughts. I'm having a panic attack, am hyperventilating and huffing and puffing.

I don't know what to do, I cannot stop these thoughts and my self esteem is rock bottom. I have some anxiety pills I've just taken.

I live alone and hardly have any social interactions due to the anxiety.

Please help me.

Hi Matt, long time no see.
    Sorry that things are so bad today lovely. Do you need to get medical help?
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

Mattypompy (14-04-21)

Hi, yes Suzi. Good to hear from you, I hope you're well.

Maybe I do medical help. I'm in the midst of a panic attack.

Trying to control my breathing it's difficult

OK, panic attacks are terrifying, but please, please, please remember that you can get through this.

Can you stop and find 5 things that you can see?
    4 things you can hear.
    3 things you can touch.
    2 things that you can smell.
    1 thing that you can taste.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

Mattypompy (14-04-21)

Hi Matt, has the panic attack passed? One thing that really helped me (apart from the grounding exercise Suzi just explained to you) is to remember that your body cannot sustain a panic attack any longer than 20-25 minutes so it WILL end. I know that seems a long time to be feeling like this, but you’re not in any danger and it’s temporary
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

Mattypompy (14-04-21)

Quote Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
    OK, panic attacks are terrifying, but please, please, please remember that you can get through this.

Can you stop and find 5 things that you can see?
    4 things you can hear.
    3 things you can touch.
    2 things that you can smell.
    1 thing that you can taste.
    Hey Suzi,

Thank you for the fantastic advise there with the distraction technique.

I will use it next time.

The attack has passed now. I have asthma and had been using propranolol to try and reduce the anxiety. Unfortunately it exacerbated the asthma and my inhaler wouldn't work.

It was very scary. I've had them before but this one lasted about 30 mins. I was clamy, cold, sweating and weak. Horrible. I just had cyclical intrusive thoughts that I couldn’t stop.

Now, I am very low and pretty exhausted. I nearly went to the hospital, the GP is calling later.

Thanks beyond words for you both being there.

I'm glad that GP is calling love. Be honest and tell them what's going on.

Can you rest and be kind to you this afternoon? In my house we call it an "anxiety hangover" you need to rest...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

Mattypompy (14-04-21)

Quote Originally Posted by Paula View Post
    Hi Matt, has the panic attack passed? One thing that really helped me (apart from the grounding exercise Suzi just explained to you) is to remember that your body cannot sustain a panic attack any longer than 20-25 minutes so it WILL end. I know that seems a long time to be feeling like this, but youÂ’re not in any danger and itÂ’s temporary
    Hi Paula,

Good to see you again. I hope you're well.

Yes it's passed, thanks. I took a cocodamol and I think the codeine worked. Just exhausted now and low.

Was very scary though due to the asthma issue. I was almost gasping for air. I was hyperventilating.

Thanks Paula for the ever so kind words of encouragement. You're both stars.

I'll drop an update later after seeing the Dr. I have a long history of depression and anxiety and 3 events occurred within about 4 days. Two relationship conflicts and a finance one. It was too much to cognitively and emotionally process all at once.

Xxx

Thank you once more.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
    I'm glad that GP is calling love. Be honest and tell them what's going on.

Can you rest and be kind to you this afternoon? In my house we call it an "anxiety hangover" you need to rest...
    Good phrase that one. Yes I'll be honest. I actually think I need a short course of benzos to get me through this hump. I did suggest that but they gave me the beta blockers.

Thanks hun. Xx

I'll rest up. It was incredible how weak I felt. Think I was pretty deoxygenated. I did a body scan mindfulness meditation.
    Last edited by Suzi; 14-04-21 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Merging posts, please try not to double post! :)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mattypompy For This Useful Post:

Suzi (14-04-21)

Hope you aren't waiting long to speak to your GP.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

Mattypompy (14-04-21)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mattypompy For This Useful Post:

Suzi (14-04-21)