Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi, I'm new

Christine

Smile Hi, I'm new

Hi everyone, I would like to introduce myself. I'm Christine I have suffered depression for many years on and off mainly linked to hormones. I am currently signed off work with a bad bout of anxiety and depression. I have tried all sorts of counselling CBT egg over the years. I was wondering if anyone else finds that it doesn't seem to work for them and how they cope with it.

I’ve tried CBT several times and ACT with little to no benefit. My last therapist advised me to avoid CBT in the future as it was clearly more triggering for me than helpful. I later learned that I am on the autism spectrum and apparently CBT isn’t as successful on those with ASD so everything makes sense a bit more sense now.

Christine
    Quote Originally Posted by Stella180 View Post
    I’ve tried CBT several times and ACT with little to no benefit. My last therapist advised me to avoid CBT in the future as it was clearly more triggering for me than helpful. I later learned that I am on the autism spectrum and apparently CBT isn’t as successful on those with ASD so everything makes sense a bit more sense now.
    I know mine is hormone related and currently going through Menopause. I had 2 really bad bouts of Postnatal Depression so I suppose it follows that I wouldn't sail through. I can't take HRT for the reason that anything that messes with my hormones brings on my depression. At a point that I really don't know what to do. I can't stop the negative thoughts from coming and I feel so frustrated with myself.

Walker extraordinaire!
    I'm also currently menopausal. I also couldnt tolerate HRT because of how it messed with my mood.
    Are you on any antidepressant?
    I find yoga, mindfulness and meditation really helpful.
    Check out my Calandoniacrochet Facebook page.

Hi and welcome to DWD. Sorry to hear you are struggling atm. Are you eating and drinking properly? Able to get some exercise?
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Christine
    Hi, yes I am eating and drinking and I have 2 dogs, one being a 3year old Border Collie so I have to walk at least once a day, sometimes twice. I used to run as well but I have mild osteoarthritis in my feet so that is no longer an option.
    I am taking Sertraline 100mg and the mental health practitioner I have been talking to recommended putting it up another 50mg but the surgery never sent my prescription to the pharmacy so haven't been able to do that yet. The trouble with mindfulness and meditation is that I find it impossible to empty my mind. I try and before I know it the negative thought have crept back in.

You don’t need to empty your mind. More a case of recognising your thoughts and letting them go, focussing on the present.

Have you tried different trainers for running? What's your other dog?

Mindfulness just takes practise. Have you tried things like Tai Chi? I find that really helps to allow me to be *in the moment* rather than busy with every other thought that I have running through it...

Can you chase them about the increase?
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Christine
    It's not the trainers it's my feet. They are uncomfortable all the time and can be agony if I walk too much. Running just makes them worse. My other dog is a German Shepherd/ Anita cross who is a rescue from Cyprus. I have pick up my sick note from the doctor on Monday so I was going to chase it then. I have never tried Tai Chi can you find it on you tube?

I will have to try that. I always try to empty my mind and it is so full of rubbish it's so hard to. I drive myself crazy with all the stuff going round and round my head.
    Last edited by Suzi; 31-01-21 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Merging posts, please try not to double post! :)

Hi and welcome
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.