Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello all

Oh love, I'm an ex teacher, I have a lot of teacher friends and I contacted the school during lockdown 1 because our youngest wasn't coping at all! It didn't matter how much help I was giving or how many hours we were working on it together... Call the school. Social services will not think anything wrong about it as the school won't even call them love.
    Sounds to me like you're doing brilliantly in really difficult situations!
    How old is your daughter?
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Quote Originally Posted by Reapy View Post
    I know, I just worry about the school thinking I can't cope. Intellectually I know there will be no judgement, but my emotional brain is screaming "They'll call Social Services on you". So we plod along as best we can.
    Sweetie, parents all over the country will be having exactly the same conversations with schools. This is not about you not coping, it’s about all of us being in an absolutely unprecedented, impossible situation and doing our absolute best. And you ARE both doing your absolute best. If you both need a little support from the school, then ask for it - they’ll be glad you talked to them rather than leaving it and ending up with both of you having a breakdown.....
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Reapy
    Thank you both, I'm plucking up the courage to speak to them on Monday. Luckily she's in school on a Tuesday and a Friday because I'm classed as a key worker and need childcare to go to work. Although because she's in school just 2 days a week it does mean we don't get any help with the free school meals vouchers because she's getting free school meals twice a week at school. It's not a huge headache, but dealing with the knowledge that someone, somewhere is making £9 a week off my child is a little worrying.

She's 10 years old now, so I did think I could queue up her work and leave her to it, but she needs constant supervision or she'll just wander off. I can't even make a cup of tea when she has school work because she will just stop working for that time frame. I have no idea how teachers cope doing this with 30 odd children all doing this at the same time! lol

Lol, thing is it's very different in a classroom rather than a home setting! The jobs are very different!
    That's ridiculous that you don't get any of the help...
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!