Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting to know the DWD members better!

Getting to know the DWD members better!

This has come from the Action for Happiness calendar, but as we're on lockdown we can't get to know our neighbours better, so what better reason to ask each other questions and get to know each of us better.

Please be aware that some people may not want to answer the question you've asked and that's fine - there's no pressure, it's meant to be fun, not intimidating!

I'll start:

Paula - You've mentioned you used to play the cello. What other instruments do you play and do grades?
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Damn, I knew that was going to bite me

I played keyboard (which meant I could play piano a little bit but they are very different disciplines). My dad also taught me a little guitar - he’s incredibly talented and self taught 12 different instruments inc oboe, sax and double bass. I also sang, until I got glandular fever.....

I was no good at grades and gave up before cello grade 3 - I always played for joy and couldn’t cope with the stress. But I did GCSE music and got an A (before A* was a thing) which I was very proud of. Mainly because a third of the grade was composing and I never thought I could write music

Mira - I know you speak several languages. Which are they and what’s your favourite?
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

Flo (07-02-21),Suzi (26-01-21)

Ok, new question. Stella, we’ve had a few hints about your obsession with Superman. How did that come about, and who’s your favourite Superman/film?
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

Suzi (28-01-21)

So much I love about Superman. He is an alien who is different to everyone else, I can relate. He is virtuous and uses his powers to help others.

Most important to me the logo on his chest. The house of El family crest and Kryptonian symbol for hope. Being surrounded with that logo is a constant reminder to never give up cos there is always hope.

Favourite Superman has to be Christopher Reeves but favourite movie is tough. Love the first 3 movies and Man of Steel but enjoy all of them and spin off TV shows.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stella180 For This Useful Post:

Paula (28-01-21)

I love that so much. - I agree the original Superman were the best, others good, but different. I love that the symbol is yours to keep fighting. You are a Superperson yourself.

My question goes to Flo. What was your first paid job and if you could, would go back to doing it again?

Mira
    Sorry, I only just saw this. Thanks to Suzi for pointing it out to me. I will tell of courseI . But dont want to make it a mess here so its Flo's turn

I speak Dutch, English and German. And English is the language that I speak the most (apart from dutch since I am in Holland haha) my favorite one is German.

My family all live in Germany and from my stepfather we were not allowed to speak German in the house while growing up. So for the first ten years I could not speak a word to any of my family members. Since they only spoke German. After we left my stepdad I got to learn German on my own and learned myself how to speak and write it as I did not get it in school.

The thrill I got from finally speaking to my family was a joy at that time. And thanks to that I now have a good relationship with a niece of mine and his son that is a huge fan of me
    Thats a whole world that opened up for me that I would otherwise never have gotten to experience.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mira For This Useful Post:

Flo (07-02-21),OldMike (29-01-21),Paula (28-01-21)

That's so sad Mira, but what a wonderful outcome - you obviously have a flair for languages!

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

Flo (07-02-21),Jaquaia (28-01-21),Stella180 (28-01-21)

Reapy
    A question for everyone: What's your favourite book and/or film?

That's a great question, and we've other threads with those kind of questions in them, this was specifically linked to one of the days of happiness calendar challenge