Page 31 of 72 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: Seeing no way out **SH Trigger**

Mira
    I know what you mean. But the horror stories are there about anything and everything. I think the internet made it even worse. One thing I always have thought and what my therapist told me is that the meds are there for support. The work needs to be done in therapy.

All I can say is have an open mind about everything. And yes you can go into the doctors and ask him that. I am noticing a shift in the way we and doctors talk to each other. When I was growing up the doctor was a revered person and not to be talked back to or give your own thoughts. And now lots of the time they themself ask what do you think?

I know that in Germany that is a bit different then here but its also changing a bit. And its you! You are your own person and you have the right to stick up for yourself. And if meds can help you with feeling better then I hope you can have that option.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mira For This Useful Post:

Butterfly (06-02-21),Flo (06-02-21),Paula (05-02-21),Stella180 (06-02-21),Strugglingmum (05-02-21),Suzi (06-02-21)

You don’t know what your doctor will say and your family don’t know that either. The only to find that out is to make an appointment and see your doctor, talk it all through with them..
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

Butterfly (06-02-21),Flo (06-02-21),Suzi (06-02-21)

Walker extraordinaire!
    I think it's a conversation worth having with your doctor. They are there to advise you and guide you to whatever is best for you.
    Check out my Calandoniacrochet Facebook page.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strugglingmum For This Useful Post:

Butterfly (06-02-21),Flo (06-02-21),Suzi (06-02-21)

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    I don't know.. I suppose they're seeing those "horror stories" and see it as sort of addicting. They say I shouldn't be focusing on wanting to take meds already when I just started into talking therapy.
    I told them that I'm not seeing as an easy way out and that it CAN take time to work and to adjust to it but that it helps. They just said "Yes YOU think that, try out therapy first. No doctor will give you meds straight away." - and I just think... can I really go to my doctor, tell him my symptoms and expect to get meds or advice for meds?
    That attitude makes me so cross! Sweetheart the others are right, there are horror stories about everything - from crossing a road to finding tarantulas in their new bunch of bananas... Instead of looking at the horror, maybe tell them some of the stories of lives that have been saved by taking meds - my husbands included. He had therapy as well as meds. He still takes them today because his life is better with them than without....
    Surely the concept of being able to live your life, rather than existing is better? I know that there are concerns about addiction, but they don't work in the same way as other medication and you come off them slowly as and when the time is right.
    As to talking to your Dr - yes that's exactly what you do...
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

I mean they surely wouldn't forbid me to get happy, they probably just see meds for depression the wrong way. My grandmother takes meds too for anxiety and my parents think she's far too depending (?) on them... but they help. I don't say that I immediately want to take meds because I think talking can help too - but so can meds and a combination of both, as it's been mentioned, seems a good thing. I just don't want to upset them and they always get so angry when I speak about that topic to them. They say my doctor 1) would want me to keep talking therapy first and 2) can't even prescribe me any meds.
    I'm just so annoyed with the whole situation - and a bit scared to speak to my doctor about this subject too. So far I've not seen my doctor for many "major" issues yet. It's just a bit scary too I suppose xx

Why can't your Dr prescribe you meds?
    What meds are your Grandmother taking?

I don't know. They say he can't do that because he's just a normal doctor for issues like a cold etc. and not a doctor for mental health.
    I'm not certain what exact meds my grandmother is taking, I only know that it's anxiety meds. Her and my mum aren't exactly fond of each other so I guess my mum doesn't want me to be like her... though I don't think that taking meds would make me be like her.

Earlier my mum and I sorted the basement and we've found some old pics for when I was in nursery or primary school. I looked so happy and carefree. I asked her "If you'd known what will happen to me, mental health wise, would you still have had me?" Cruel I know. She said, she would always choose ti have me again no matter what issues would be crossing our way. She'll try and find a way to bring back this happy kid from the pics no mattet how hard it'll be.
    My dad said that, if I want, I can speak to a doctor about meds. He's not holding me back. He's just not a fan of it

Why on earth would they not want to have had you if they knew you were going to have depression? That's a horrible thing to suggest. This isn't something forever, it's a bump, you can get through this and be happy, but you have to do stuff to get to that point.
    Go and see your Dr and talk to them.

I don't know.. it's probably my mind telling me I'm such a burden to them and that they'd be better off without me. My mind's constantly saying I'm a looser and will never be good enough at anything, I'll always fail and no matter how I do (even if doing good), there always will be those who did better and sometimes that thoughts eat me up. Don't get me wrong - by no means am I saying that people wird mental health issues are loosers. They all are incredibly strong!
    I just have no self-esteem.
    I WILL call my doctor this upcoming week though. It can't go on like this, it needs to be done

Please do, hunni, you’re right, you can’t continue feeling like this
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.