Page 78 of 92 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088 ... LastLast

Thread: That sinking feeling

Oh yes, she does. She’s a phiddipus regius aka a regal jumping spider and only a couple of mm’s in size. Even fully grown will only be about 2cm at most. Jumping spiders have the cutest little faces and are really sociable. I know I can’t convince you spiders are cute but these little buggers are adorable. They only live for about a year at most and that’s providing they don’t have a disaster moult so not exactly a long term commitment. It’ll be fun.

Ewww, I'd ask that you post lots of warnings re pictures please as it's a real phobia for me and even seeing the word sp*der is a big issue for me....
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

Allalone (09-06-21),Angie (09-06-21)

I’m not going to post any pics here. Can’t promise their won’t be some on Facebook at some point though.

OK, thanks.

My new friend is going to need a name. Any suggestions for her?

Ben suggests: Sir Jebediah von Bouncealot

Suzi says: DO NOT SHOW SUZI or even mention that word...

That would be an epic name if it was male.

I’ve got a couple of ideas but they are a bit dodgy I think and lack originality.

Ben says... Lady Jebediah von Bouncealot obviously....

So, all ready for it to arrive? When are you getting her? Does she have a lovely vivarium to live in?

Not exactly a lovely vivarium. More of a smoothie cup with artificial flowers. Yep, that’s right it cost me £1.49 for some decor to put in a cup and that is home for her (Jebadiah is a male name, maybe Lady Jemima von Bouncealot) I have fruit fly culture which will feed her for a few weeks and as she molts and grows she can enjoy some meal worms and small crickets. It’s fascinating watching them hunt and feed and looking forward to seeing it happen in real life in my own home. I picked up a critter box for £2 on eBay which looks a bit like a clear acrylic cocktail shaker. The plan was to put her in there when she’s a bit bigger but if all goes well I might get another jumper later on. Of course I talk about her growing and you probably picture something massive but she will only get to maybe 2cms and is currently just a few mms in size. Interesting facts about the phiddipus regius. They can eat prey up to 1.5 times their own body size and can jump up to 8 times their body size. To put that on a human scale, I’m 5’6” so it would be the equivalent of me taking down a grizzly bear and jumping 44ft from a standing start to do it. You have to be impressed with those figures.