Page 41 of 92 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast

Thread: That sinking feeling

It looks so pretty but how devastating for everyone affected

I second Suzi re contacting CAB, as you very well know. Worst outcome is they tell you they can’t help, best they might actually be able to do something for you....
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

I have a confession to make and I’m sure Paula is going to tell me off for this but I think I’m going to have to call the GP in the morning.

I’ve been struggling with my chest for a while now, and initially I thought it was just because I’d not been using my inhaler. Anyway I starting making sure I was using it as prescribed and now 3 weeks later and I’m still not doing great.I’m not wheezing or anything but it just feels like I have a heavy weight on my chest (save the tit jokes) and it’s mildly uncomfortable to breathe. I’m getting out of breath easier too but I put that down to not getting enough exercise lately. Two things have changed over this time, one being the weather. This is the second time it’s snowed since Christmas and it’s been pretty cold and whether changes can affect my chest, it’s like I have a built in barometer lol.

The other thing is I started using a humidifier with my CPAP and I’m actually wondering if that is contributing to the problem due to the room temperature differing from the air that I’m breathing? Back to the built in barometer thing again. I hate using my salbutamol inhaler unless I am really struggling and I’ve been using it a fair bit recently, probably not as often as I should but I’m stubborn and try to get by without it. One of the reasons I’ve been reluctant to call the GP is the whole covid thing. I know this will probably sound mad but I’m scared with it being a respiratory thing there is some kind of procedural thing they will have to do which is pointless cos I’m reasonably confident it just cos I’m asthmatic and the NHS is stretched enough without me adding to the workload when people are in a much worse state and need the service more than I do.

I also know that despite being in self preservation mode and functioning ok, I’m not in a good place mentally but speaking to the quack about it is pointless cos There is nothing they can do. I’m already on the waiting list for 1:1 counselling and I’m maxed out on meds that I don’t wanna change anyway so it feels pointless even mentioning it. I’ll be told to exercise and try online CBT. Ermmm, chest not great and CBT isn’t helpful.

Ermm ok, so I won’t be telling you off. Mainly because you already know that you should have called the doctors (and used your inhaler) already. I will, though, if you don’t call the doctor today . As for the procedural thing, they might get you to do a covid test but I’ve had a few and they’re not as bad as you think they’ll be. It’s not pleasant but it’s over very quickly and you can do a home test if that’s easier for you (and you promise to actually do it)..... Hunni, you are important and you need the NHS just as much as the next person
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

I can't agree with Paula enough. Call the drs.
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

I feel like I take more than enough from the service as it is. I got a callback not long ago. Good and bad news. They are giving me a course of prednisone which should help my chest but is likely to cause my blood sugars to spike and lower my immune system for several weeks which is just what you don’t want during a global pandemic.

But not taking it will be worse if you do pick up covid while your lungs are already compromised

Glad that you've made the call. Take the meds, you need to give yourself chance to heal love....

Catch 22 isn’t is. I’ve asked for the pharmacy to deliver cos my can’t get into the car. The doors are frozen shut. That means I can’t take my parcel to the post office so I will have to find a volunteer to do it for me.

Glad you're getting them delivered love.

Well I got my meds, 5 day course, and added to dosette box to make sure I don’t get confused. I’ve also been advised to use my daily inhaler 3 times a day instead of twice.

I’ve spoken to my sister about everything and she offered me the use of her car if needed until the appeal is dealt with which was kind of her. I told her about my chest and the steroid side effects on my immune system and she has offered to help if I need anything so I’ve got options. She’s broken a windscreen wiper (?) so I’ve had to order her a new pair and she wants me to fit it tomorrow. I get all the best jobs lol.