Page 5 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad episode of depression **SU Triggers**

Walker extraordinaire!
    I used to love movies, dramas etc but have lost passion for them since I took ill. My CPN at the time used to tell me my house was too quiet, I needed some background noise etc.
    I used to put on documentaries/ travel/cookery etc about all sorts of odd stuff.
    They didn't take too much concentration, it didn't matter if I zoned out for a while, I could put on a short one or a longer one etc.
    Can I make some suggestions?
    The Repair Shop
    Secret Scotland with Susan Calman
    Gordon, Gino and Fred's roadtrips
    Billy Connolly's tours
    These are all light-hearted but interesting too.
    They might help pass an hour or two and might give you a laugh too.
    Check out my Calandoniacrochet Facebook page.

And anything by David Attenborough. Something about his voice. Very calming.

Yes, David Attenborough is an incredible man and I am going to watch some of his documentaries on BBC I Player this week.

I have had the same usual kind of day - relaxing and not getting out of bed until quite late. I have been for my usual walk and also arranged to catch up with an old friend on Friday on the telephone.

I am also reading this book: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Living-Bett...s%2C191&sr=8-1 Anything that will help me learn something new to manage my depression.

In truth I am much improved from a few weeks ago and am hopeful that I will not need to increase my Venlafaxine from 225 mg and be able to return to work next week.

Did you think about calling your dr about splitting the dosage?
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Quote Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
    Did you think about calling your dr about splitting the dosage?
    Hi Suzi,

I have a telephone consultation penciled in with my GP for next Monday morning - I will certainly ask her then about the possibility of splitting to help with the fatigue. I had to have a lie down and nap after taking my Venlafaxine this morning despite having over 7 hours sleep. My legs really ache after just going for an hours walk which is not good for a fairly fit 33 year old man.

My mood is still low and I am still getting suicidal thoughts but not as strong as a few weeks and months ago. Through my employer I have access to a 24 hour helpline where I can speak to a trained counsellor - they have have advised me to think of such thoughts as a symptom of my depression rather than actually wanting to die.

How are you today Suzi?

Good thanks. I'm glad you're going to talk to her about it.
    I'm glad that you;re feeling brighter.
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Mira
    That is a good thought they wanted you to have. I like it because it can maybe ease the blaming if thats something you do. I do that a lot and knowing that its part of my disorders instead of what I want helps me at times and I hope it helps you too.

That can also be the case with the sleeping. It can be meds, it can be the depression. It can be a number of things. But again if its what you really needed then thats ok. And think nothing of it. Keep going on. You are doing great.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mira For This Useful Post:

Suzi (30-11-20)

You’re poorly, that always takes it out of us, including mental health illnesses. And you’re still getting used to the venlafaxine. So, while you’re off work, allow yourself to be tired, to not have the energy to go for a long walk (an hour? When I was at my worst I couldn’t manage 5 minutes!). If you had any other illness, you wouldn’t expect this of you.......
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

Knowle (01-12-20),Suzi (01-12-20)

Thanks as always for your responses. I had a real wobble last night where I felt very, very low and suicidal and anxious. I took a Diazepam to calm myself down.

I have had a better day today - it is definitely the Venlafaxine which is making me feel tired as I slept for 7 hours and after felt quite refreshed when I woke up and after taking the meds went back to bed and slept for an hour at lunchtime. Maybe splitting the dosage will help with this - I am going to ask my GP next week.

I do not feel as tired this afternoon and managed to go for a long walk which has really boosted my mood and made me feel better.

The low mood is still there but the Venlafaxine seems to have reduced the pain rather than eradicate it - I am also getting very weird and lucid dreams most nights which can be quite upsetting.

I am also still in touch with the Samaritans through email which is very helpful.

Walker extraordinaire!
    You certainly are doing lots of positive things to help your mental health
    Check out my Calandoniacrochet Facebook page.