Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast

Thread: The final stretch

Librarian and chief holder of antiquities and biscuits Jaquaia's Avatar
    I'm ok just tired and cold. We've had freezing fog!
    Tên përdu, jhamâi së rëcôbro

Oh no! Hope you warm up soon lovely.
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Any warmer? Wrap up well, lovely
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Yes thanks. We've got the shopping out of the way and home now with the heating on. Going to get some wrapping out of the way then research for my assignment!

Woohoo!

I was right and the bloody elf bags were full of tat and have now really ed me off!

I have to say, my kids used to love tat more than anything else . But, hunni, I wonder if the in laws are struggling to cope with what’s happened over the last couple of years, realising what Cruella was doing to J and the kids when they may have felt they should have protected them from her, and they might be clinging on to these traditions to try to feel less guilty?
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Maybe they should focus on actually being his parents then instead of undermining him constantly and adding to his stress, as they are a massive contributor to his anxiety levels. In fact, they constantly make him feel like the children are far more important to them then he is as he gets very little support from them, no matter how much he tells them he is struggling. Don't get me wrong, I get on well with them, but sometimes they make our lives far harder than it needs to be

I think that's par for the course with grandparents. Marc's Mum can be a complete pita. I can't tell you the amount of full on meltdowns B had when he was little and she just went, "oh he's not well. Come on little one, Nanny loves you so much. Come with me and I'll get you ......." All the f*ing time! I could have swung for her so many times, esp knowing how bad a childhood both M and his sister had.... HOWEVER, my Mum does the same, so I've come to the conclusion that it's actually not them trying to make my life harder, but to spoil them a bit and to give them things that they wouldn't get from me. Yes it's annoying and on many occasions it's hard Marc and I furious with either of them... My Mum wouldn't dare to speak to my kids the way she speaks to me, she knows she'd not be allowed to do it and knows I'd make sure of it.... The thing is, my Mum didn't have money or time with us when we were growing up and needed her, Marc's Mum was babysitting Marc's Dad and trying to grow up (she was and still struggles with being a grown up) and now they can, so they want to spoil and spend time. It's just how it is....
    Does that rambling make any sense at all?

It is that way with grandparents, usually. Things that they would never have done for their own kids, for whatever reason (often not enough time or money) they’ll bend over backwards to do for the grandkids. To me, it sounds like they’re trying to make up for what they couldn’t do for J by spoiling the kids. It’s not right, it’s not fair, but it is how it often is