Page 14 of 73 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike's Manse

Sounds like a nightmare of a job! What made you start it in the first place?
    Are you looking after yourself properly?
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

How are you doing, love?
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Suzi's right, it's a nightmare of a job! I agree, gluing tiles to a floor is crazy! I can't get over how resourceful you are Mike! You can tackle and fix almost anything! You're a really handy bloke to know.

Knight of Spamswotting by Highest order of Chufty Badges Jarre's Avatar
    Your busy busy mike, be carefull with the tiles, in the 60 & 70's they used Marley floor tiles on the floors, these contain white asbestos (chrysolite) its only harmful if they become dust. if the adhesive is black then its a bitumen type adhesive if your going to put any new floor down its recommended to use a latex levelling compound. Glad you didn't have to do anything with teh flue, if its a none metal flue thats been there for years it is most likely a cement/asbestos based flu fine left insitu but has to be removed to special tip if changed.

Quote Originally Posted by OldMike View Post
    Whose idea it was to stick down vinyl wants poking up the ass with a pointy stick (metaphorically not in reality as that would be really stoopid) removing them was a pain combination of scraper plus heat gun for the more stubborn ones then you're left with a very stick floor if I stood still when I moved I left my slippers behind. I was imagining the news skeleton of old man found bonded to floor.

Well a combination of turps and a belt sander was needed to get rid of the glue I have some lino (vinyl flooring to put down, had it for years) or I may just varnish the boards).

Kitchen looks like a bomb hit it and dust everywhere so a lot of cleaning needed.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jarre For This Useful Post:

OldMike (25-10-20)

How are you Mike? You're really quiet...

Quote Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
    How are you Mike? You're really quiet...
    I's been busy changing my heated towel rail so I've now got a shiny chrome one

Friday did some shopping warm and sunny when I set out but cold and raining when I returned home. Had a good long chat with sis too make up to the short chat we had a few days before as she had to go feed her stepson's cat.

Been keeping up with run up to the US presidential elections

Bucketed it down yesterday so opened a tin of potatoes rather than don my boots and tackle the paddy field aka spud patch.

Annoyingly the video game I was playing crashed, don't you hate that when it happens.

Some annoying twonker rang my bell and tried to sell me BT fibre despite the fact I repeatedly said I'd already had BT fibre grrr some people just don't listen.

Re the Wales lockdown what is an essential item some people have got their knickers in a twist about that and are knickers an essential item!? Answers please to the Welsh Assembly
    77 and counting, less of the "Old" call me "Mike"

Hey love, good to see you and hear your catch up! Sounds like you've been really busy! How are things with Sis? Are they staying safe?

I’ve heard things like baby clothes and kettles......
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Walker extraordinaire!
    Busy busy man Mike...... that offer of a busman's holiday still stands
    Check out my Calandoniacrochet Facebook page.

Quote Originally Posted by Strugglingmum View Post
    Busy busy man Mike...... that offer of a busman's holiday still stands
    Tee hee

What a performance about free school meals during school hols any sensible person would be all for them must be a real struggle keeping kids fed in this economic climate.
    77 and counting, less of the "Old" call me "Mike"