Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recipe Thread!

Recipe Thread!

This is the recipe I made tonight. Add more butter makes it more brownie like with a crunchy top if you leave it in the oven (after you've turned it off!)

https://www.bakingmad.com/recipe/cho...-concrete-cake

All of mine liked it - even Hazel and she hates everything that anyone else makes!
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Librarian and chief holder of antiquities and biscuits Jaquaia's Avatar
    Same recipe that I use!!! And oh my god!! The smell as it cooks is AMAZING!!!
    Tên përdu, jhamâi së rëcôbro

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaquaia For This Useful Post:

Suzi (06-06-20)

Woohoo! It's amazing! Add more butter, turns into the gooeist brownie under the crunchy top. Will definitely be making it again!
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

OldMike (07-06-20)

Walker extraordinaire!
    Sounds good. I take it its crunchier than a cake. We had pink custard at school but not chocolate concrete. Will do a GF version and see how it goes.
    Check out my Calandoniacrochet Facebook page.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Strugglingmum For This Useful Post:

Suzi (07-06-20)

That's look so good. Like literally not everyone able to make it as perfect as one but your looks good. I should try it too.

First of the hopefully many recipes from my side which I'd love to share
    Take note that I'm usually not being too exact with all the measurements, amounts that start with ~ are usually more like rough guidelines. Just take a little more or less if you like so. Whatever suits your gusto

Today's dish: Spaghetti Carbonara
    I did it the traditional italian way (more or less), therefore you can serve this to your italian friends without having them complaining too much about how you're doing it wrong

Here you can find some pictures: https://freeimage.host/a/spaghetti-carbonara.Jw6oG

Ingredients:
    • ~ 125g Spaghetti
    • Salt
    • A good handful of grated pecorino cheese (parmesan is fine too)
    • ~ 60g Guanciale (pork cheek) (use Pancetta, or just regular bacon, like I did, if you can't find those or it's too expensive)
    • A bit of Olive oil (only if you use regular bacon)
    • 2 - 3 Egg yolks
    • Grounded black pepper
    • A little more grated cheese

Cooking:
    - Take the eggs and the cheese out of the fridge in advance. It should be at room temperature for best results.
    - Start boiling the water for the pasta in a big enough pot.
    - In the meantime, chop the pork into somewhat bigger pieces and start heating up a frying pan (big enough to hold the spaghetti as well).
    - In a separate bowl, mix the cheese and egg yolks until the mixture is somewhat smooth and as evenly as possible.
    - When the water is boiling, add salt and spaghetti. Cook it until it's not quite al-dente yet (2 - 3 minutes less than the package says).
    - Fry the bacon. If you use guanciale/pancetta, there should be no need for oil, as it should lose much more fat during the frying than regular bacon.
    - When the spaghetti are ready, add them to the pan and keep some of the pasta water.
    - Add a good spoon of the water to the egg-cheese-mix and to the pan as well.
    - Reduce the heat on the pan (or even turn the stove off), then add the egg-cheese-mix to the pasta and mix well.
    This Is the difficult part, took me a few tries to get it right! The egg shouldn't be cooked, but the cheese should be sort of melted in that step, therefore you need to time things right and find the right temperature.
    I usually put the pan aside, wait a a little and then test with a little bit of the mix, before putting in the rest.
    Your goal is to get a smooth and creamy sauce, like in picture 1. Don't hesitate to add more pasta water if the sauce is not creamy enough yet.
    Also, you probably don't need to add more salt, pasta water and cheese should have enough, but better double check to be safe.
    - Put on a plate, add some more cheese and a good portion of (not too finely) grounded black pepper.
    - Serve and enjoy!

That's pretty much it. Not too simple but still not way too hard to do. Just a few ingredients and you get a very delicious dish!
    And seriousely (I can't stress this enough): don't add cream to the sauce if any italians are around. They might be coming after you!

Sources: Various youtube videos from italian chefs (e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsg5H2TEQXs). Sort of extracted my own recipe out of them.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom For This Useful Post:

Paula (09-10-20),Suzi (09-10-20)

After some busy and stressful days I finally found some time to come back and deliver another recipe
    This time it's sourdough bread. Does take quite some preparation, but once you have set it all up it's very easy going!

Sourdough Bread

https://freeimage.host/a/sourdough-bread.Jk5JV

Ingredients:
    • 500g flour
    • ~ 100g Sourdough Starter
    • 3dl Water (lukewarm)
    • 10g Salt

Cooking:
    1. Put flour and sourdough starter in a big bowl.
    2. Dissolve salt in the water and add to the bowl.
    3. Mix well and knead for at least 15 minutes.
    4. Put a damp cloth over the bowl and let it rise to at least the double volume.
    5. Cut the surface however you want the bread to look like.
    6. Put into the oven at 200°C for 50 minutes (don't preheat the oven, that way it can rise some more in the oven).
    7. Remove from the oven and let it cool down on a cake grid, or similar.
    8. Cut a slice and enjoy!

Sourdough Starter

Ingredients:
    • A big jar, or similar, with a lid
    • Flour
    • Water
    • Time
    • Some space in your fridge

Preparation:
    1. Clean the jar very well!
    2. Start with 50g of flour and warm water (around 30°C).
    3. Mix well and let it rest at around 25°C to 30°C for 24h, covered with the lid (but not tightened).
    4. Add another 50g of flour and water each and repeat step above.
    5. Take ~ 100g of the starter and again repeat with 50g of each.
    6. Repeat the last step for a few days, until the starter smells and tastes quite sour and is very bubbly.
      If it smells rank, changes color, or even shows some mold, then throw it away and start from scratch!
      If that's not the case, it's still good.
      The acid should keep away bad bacteria and such. Though you need to care for it and keep it alive over time.
    7. Put it into the fridge.
    8. Optional: Give it a name. Mine's called "Clint Yeastwood" ^^

Usage, keeping it alive:
    1. Remove a portion for a new dough, or just throw away about half of it.
    2. Refill the lost mass with flour and water.
    3. Mix and let rest for a few hours until it's getting quite bubbly again.
    4. Put it back into the fridge.
    5. Repeat this about once a week, or when there's a small layer of liquid on top of it.

Notes:
    • If the starter is still rising, it's too early to feed it with more flour. Wait until it decreases its volume again.
    • If there's a little water or liquid on top that's fine, it hasn't gone bad. It just needs some fresh flour and water.
    • You might need a little additional yeast for the first few breads. Just make a small test run first to see how strong the starter is.
    • I always used wheat flour for the started and the dough, but you can use any kind of flour you like. The amount of liquid needed might differ a little though.

Sources: Thre are many sourdough recipes on the web, most of them are really detailed. I then decided to make my own version that is as simple as possible.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom For This Useful Post:

Flo (17-10-20),Suzi (16-10-20)

Clint Yeastwood!! Lol I love that.

Librarian and chief holder of antiquities and biscuits Jaquaia's Avatar
    Tên përdu, jhamâi së rëcôbro