Page 11 of 116 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a new life

Wow! Go you! So are you pacing today or running round after everyone? How's the drinking?
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Librarian and chief holder of antiquities and biscuits Jaquaia's Avatar
    Been homeschooling. Both children have been a pain but T more so than A. What should have only taken around 2 and a half/3 hours has taken all day. A ended up sat on the bottom stair at one point too. T has been warned that if necessary, if we have the same carry on tomorrow then he'll become acquainted with the bottom stair too. Now making toad in the hole and roast potatoes again for tea, it seems to be quite popular! And I don't mind as it's chucking it down and just thoroughly miserable here today.
    Tên përdu, jhamâi së rëcôbro

Walker extraordinaire!
    I cant imagine how difficult it is homeschooling 2 young ones (actually I can and it makes me shudder!!)
    Well done. I dont have the patience and 1 of mine in particular always knew how to push every button I had!! I confess I was awfully impatient at times. I'll share a terrible incident which we laugh at now but at the time I felt like the worst mum in the world!! We have academic selection here for secondary school which means testing in the autumn term of last primary year. My eldest is so brainy but a real clown and could never understand the importance of learning stuff. We used to do a lot of work at home to prepare for these tests. I was explaining something... for the zillionth time 1 day and he wasnt even really listening and just messing. Swallowing my impatience I asked, "do you get it now, does that make sense?"
    His reply was, "i just dont think I'm meant to understand this" and grinned in his most cheeky way.
    I flipped!! I slammed the pen down and yelled, "are you really that thick or are you just pretending?"
    I was horrified as soon as I said it and he just shrugged and didn't care!! ..... I was right all along mind you.... he is the most qualified child I have and constantly doing more courses to further himself..... on his own terms.
    If I had to homeschool dear knows how many times those words might trip from my mouth!!
    Check out my Calandoniacrochet Facebook page.

I've done most of it today as J was rapidly losing patience. Both of them are intelligent but A is still learning the basics so needs a lot more help, whereas T starts his final year in primary in September. He'd not read instructions, asked for help straight away rather than try, and was constantly asking for help even though he could see that I was sounding out words for A to write out. It got really frustrating

Try the "read, think, read, try, read, check then ask for help" method. It's definitely something to stall the immediate requests for help and gives him a structure too.

The issue is his mum refuses to help him. He said he's asked her before and she just tore his work up... so he'd only get that structure here.

It’s a good job they’ve all got you in their lives...
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Why would she do that? That’s gonna upset the poor lad. Actually I’ve just remembered who we’re talking about here so yeah, she does it cos she is a hateful abusive biatch!

Wow, so caring and nurturing!

What's on your agenda today?

More homeschooling then maybe baking a cake with A for J's dad if there's time as it's his birthday on Sunday