Thread: Mike's patch

Cool Mike's patch

Here will be my garden related posts.

Spring onion, red spring onion, mixed lettuce seeds have arrived as yet no seed potatoes which I really wanted first.

I'll keep you updated
    77 and counting, less of the "Old" call me "Mike"

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldMike For This Useful Post:

Paula (25-04-20),Stella180 (25-04-20)

Mike, stupid question - why do you buy seed potatoes, rather than just using "normal" potatoes which have started to sprout?
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Seed potatoes are usually certified virus free often grown in Scotland where it is colder and the vectors (usually aphids) which transfer the virus are not as active in cold places. You can can use ordinary potatoes if you want but if you're growing a lot of potatoes then seed potatoes are better.

I looked this lot up, I'm not that nerdy that I'm an expert on potato viruses

• Potato leafroll virus (PLRV) causes an important disease of potatoes affecting the quantitv and quality of production and may cause a crop to be ineligible for certification.
    • Potato virus Y (PVY) is one of the most important viruses infecting potatoes. It is readily spread by aphids in a nonpersistent manner as well as mechanically by human activity and may result in severely depressed yields. PVY is tuberborne and can interact with other viruses such as PVX and PVA to result in heavier losses.
    • Potato Virus X (PVX) is one of the most widely distributed viruses of potatoes because no symptoms develop in some varieties (latent mosaic), the full extent of damage with PVX is not recognized
    • Potato Virus A (PVA), which causes mild mosaic (leaf mottling in a mosaic like pattern).
    • Potato viruses S and M (PVS and PVM) occur in New York, but their importance in yield loss is uncertain.
    • Alfalfa mosaic virus (AMY) occurs worldwide in potato, but is considered to be of little economic importance.
    • Potato spindle tuber viroid (PSTV) can cause a destructive disease of potato and receives particular attention for certified seed production.
    Last edited by OldMike; 25-04-20 at 06:14 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to OldMike For This Useful Post:

Suzi (25-04-20)

I didn't know any of that! Thank you!

While we are on the subject of plant viruses strawberries are very prone to virus infections so if you grow your own start with good stock and propagate your own from runners, then every three years clear them out and start with fresh stock. Virus infected strawberries usually have pale unhealthy looking leaves and the fruit is small with hard centres.

So first year don't allow to crop to build up the plants for the next three years crop and propagate from runners then clear out and start again, happy strawberry growing to all DWD'ers out there.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to OldMike For This Useful Post:

Suzi (26-04-20)

Thank you! I have a strawberry planter and they just regrow each year! I'll have to be careful then... So far no viruses, but I'll keep an eye on them. Thanks Mike!

Seeing as this is garden related yesterday did some path repair and patio wall repair, today cleaning old mortar of some old walling blocks prior to doing a bit more patio wall repair.

Seed spuds arrived yesterday so been chitting spuds (see info below), boy don't you feel better after a good chit

Info: Chitting is sprouting potatoes

So how's it all looking?

Some garden related pics taken 25/26 June 2020.

My spud patch (the pic doesn't do them justice )

A self-seeded white foxglove hiding at the back of a border.

Clematis.

Astilbe (unknown variety)

Wild campion the eagle eyed of you will notice some herb bennet seed heads on the left.

Orange hawkweed don't be fooled by the leaves there's herb bennet, buttercup and campion there too. I did have some yellow hawkweed on my lawns but the flowering was finished so the they got the mowing treatment

Edit: Thought I'd posted this but mustn't have clicked the button thank goodness for auto-save
    Last edited by OldMike; 26-06-20 at 05:58 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to OldMike For This Useful Post:

Paula (26-06-20)

Your spuds look fantastic! You should get a good crop with those! That foxglove is divine...