Page 16 of 150 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast

Thread: When is it gonna be my turn?

Quote Originally Posted by Stella180 View Post
    Well only one family member has acknowledged my FB post, a cousin way up north and she has a son on the spectrum. Oh well, I tried. At least those in the know appreciated it. I’ll just continue to be invisible to everyone else. Why the hell should I care what they think anyway?
    Just because they haven't commented doesn't mean that they haven't read it and are trying to digest the info...
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Im not hopeful.

I know, you seem to be expecting negatives a lot atm....

Don’t I always? Expect the worst and anything else is a bonus. My sister isn’t exactly the brightest spark but the things she has said since I told her about the diagnosis have really hurt me. Initially her response was “oh well, now you know you can do something about it”. The day before our brother’s funeral she’s talking about his partners 17 yr old granddaughter who is also on the spectrum (her mum recognised me from visiting Aspie) and how she didn’t know if the lass would come to the funeral despite wanting too because “you know what THEY can be like”. I’m not sure which hurt more. The fact she referred to people or the spectrum like we’re a whole other species, or that she clearly doesn’t accept that I am one of “them”. That is what sparked me to post something to make her and other family members who also dismiss the dx (my aunt doesn’t believe it’s a real condition but an excuse for bad behaviour) that this is a real thing and I don’t want to have to pretend anymore to be someone I’m not. I want them to understand me and who I really am. I want them to have that lightbulb moment and realise that everything fits. That the problem isn’t me, it’s their perception of me that is wrong.

As you predicted Suzi, so many things from my past, have started to make sense now I know and I want the people I care about and who I thought cared about me to look at situations past and present with the new knowledge they have and experience those aha moments too instead of dismissing it.

Hunni, sometimes people are just not able to understand things that they can't see.... All we can do is keep on chipping away with the right messages and hope that they listen and understand eventually.... However for every one who doesn't, there will be far more who do listen and do learn...

But she’s me sister! She’s the only immediate family I have left. I’ve always felt like a stranger to my family, an outsider, like I didn’t belong. That has to change and she’s the last chance.

Then have you tried telling her exactly that?

How? It’s not an easy conversation to have.

Woohoo! Just checked my emails and Sainsbury’s has recognised me as a priority for delivery. Finally, I might actually get myself sorted on the grocery front.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Stella180 For This Useful Post:

Paula (04-04-20)

Just spent the best part of an hour on the phone to an old friend who is in lockdown due to health conditions despite being a midwife. She also shared some disturbing news regarding to the coronavirus situation locally which I wouldn’t be surprised it it spread nationwide. I’m not in the habit of spreading rumour but at the same time I advise everyone to be strict about lockdown and not to take any risks. This is a serious issue and only adherence to the rules will help us beat this.

Anyway it was nice to hear a friendly voice and has encouraged me to reach out to other friends struggling with isolation. We may not be able to meet in person but with technology we have no excuse to reach out to those who may be alone.