Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19

As of earlier today, my brother and his wife are to see no one for the next 14 days. My brother has been recognized as a very close contact of someone diagnosed with Covid.
    The chief medical officer has suggested that we are in a total lockdown until at the earliest the beginning of February. However our minister for education has stated that schools are very safe and they should reopen next Monday. The government are going to meet on Wednesday to discuss the matter. Because, well, it's the Christmas holidays.

I think we are fed up to the back teeth of this horrible situation and we all have lots and lots of enjoyable and meaningful things that we miss.

However, if we were to go on business as usual the virus would run riot through society and many, many more people would die then already are doing. The NHS is barely coping as it is.

There are no good solutions in all of this - it is choosing between the least worst outcomes. The economic damage is horrendous and I feel heart sorry for anyone who has lost their job or their business through this.

At least it is now not the open ended nightmare that was unleashed last year - with the vaccination program there is a way out of this nightmare.

I hope everyone has managed the first day of lockdown okay.

It has not made much difference to me to be honest as I am still off work sick recuperating and getting settled on the new medication.

There was 46 new cases in my town yesterday. We only have a population of just under 10,000. That means that one in four are now infected. The numbers have been scary for the last 3 weeks.

The numbers are very frightening.

I am especially worried for my Mum who is over 70 and one of my closest friends who has a severe and chronic underlying health condition.

Yeah, I have to admit I’ve had enough of shielding but my hubby keeps reminding me that I’m warm, comfortable, not alone and it will end
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

Suzi (05-01-21)

Quote Originally Posted by magie06 View Post
    There was 46 new cases in my town yesterday. We only have a population of just under 10,000. That means that one in four are now infected. The numbers have been scary for the last 3 weeks.
    Are you reading the figures right? Maybe 1 on 4 have been infected but how many have recovered? As they say there are lie damned lies and statistics.

The figures for Bens uni are scary.
    If my Mum catches it, it will kill her. There's no two ways about it. I'm not shielding, but not going out and not seeing anyone apart from my family. The only time I'm going out is for medical appointments.....

To be honest I've spoken to a friend of mine whose bil is in intensive care. They were weaning him off the ventilator but with delirium and he tore the breathing line so has been put back under totally. He's been on a ventilator for 2 1/2 weeks and on CPAP before that. His children are in pieces, his mum is beside herself and the hospital call once a day to speak to our friends husband - his brother who then has to pass the information around the family. No visitors.
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

Stella180 (05-01-21)

I know the way it works. It’s better now than it was in April. My cousin has 6 children and a wife but only 5 allowed to the funeral. It took 6hrs for the news of his death to be confirmed with his next of kin. It sucks, it really does but the deaths of those infected are still a minority. Yes any loss of life is important especially to the loved ones and I don’t deny that for a second but the same goes for deaths to Cancer, Kidney disease, Flu even. All losses will be mourned but we as humans may think we are top of the food chain and rule the world but Mother Nature will always fight to right the balance.

There are c10,000 deaths in England and Wales per year. In 9 months, covid has killed over 75,000 people in the uk. And don’t forget, these are additional deaths to those lost by flu during the course of covid. It just doesn’t compare

https://www.greenwichccg.nhs.uk/News...and-Wales.aspx
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.