Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19

We're in Tier 2 in Somerset......grrr!

We're in level 5. No travelling more than 5km from home. No visitors or no visiting. Work from home. Etc. On Tuesday at midnight we go to level 3. We can move around our county, have no more than 6 people from 3 different households, non essential shops and businesses can re open, and we can have a somewhat normal Christmas. Because everyone knows that Covid stops for Christmas.

Level 5? We don't even have a level 5... Sorry lovely. It all seems a bit mad doesn't it?
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

If it was mad in November it is far worse now.

I do find the whole situation very frightening - especially for my Mum who I live with and is 71 and has asthma as well one of my best friends who has a severe underlying health condition.

Hopefully in the coming months things will get better.

I think we're all hoping that.
    We're in the new Tier 4, so under the "stay at home order." It's difficult, but it's important so that we can share another Christmas.... All you can do is follow the guidelines, wash and sanitise hands, wear masks (unless genuinely exempt) and keep social distancing....

The whole thing and the way it is being handled by the government is ridiculous. We now have a “new strain” so does this mean that all that work on rushing through a vaccine will be pointless? Or is this just an excuse for when the vaccine doesn’t work as expected? Local lockdowns are only going to impact local small businesses and kill off the high street completely. The rich continue to get richer while the poor get poorer. Our NHS has been applauded for offering a worse service to the majority with f2f consultations and operations not taking place meaning so many people having to suffer with pain and discomfort which only adds to poor mental health.

I get that this virus is a potential killer and we have to limit our exposure to protect ourselves but at the same time many, just maybe this is Mother Nature’s was of “thinning the herd”. The human race is responsible for the destruction of rainforests and disrupted the natural balance of the planet to benefit ourselves. Our numbers keep increasing while we hunt many species in near extinction. Maybe it’s our turn to be kulled to restore balance? I know that’s an unpopular idea because nobody wants to sacrifice themselves or loved ones and of course I’m no different but maybe this is what has to happen to allow the generations that come after us to rebuild and live happier lives?

There are already many thousand mutations of this virus and most of them don’t change what’s going on globally. No one can predict which mutations are going to be dangerous or significant. The government received reports only recently of this mutation and, as I understand it, only discovered how infectious it was on Friday. So they had to act quickly. I can’t see what more they could have done in this instance. And, from what I’ve looked at, the mutations are not very dramatic so should still respond to the vaccines.
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

I think the government have had a near impossible task in the last few months - trying to minimise deaths and serious illness from Covid whilst at the same time trying to prop the economy up. Unfortunately, as a country we have fared very badly on both counts. However, Europe as a continent has been hit very badly - no western European country has come close to replicating the success most East Asian countries have at keeping the virus well under control.

The very annoying thing about the PM is his constant bold promises and pledges and then completely under-delivering time and time again. From "the word beating test and trace system", "significant return to normality" by Christmas, "we can send the coronavirus packing" and "we can turn the tide in 12 weeks" back in March. Personally, I find it hard to take what he says seriously now.

I am very lucky that I still have my job and so far have not had any health problems from Covid.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Knowle For This Useful Post:

Stella180 (21-12-20)

That is exactly what I'm talking about Knowle, BoJo has underestimated the impact and made promises he couldn't deliver. How are we expected to trust him? Constantly raising hopes only to let people down. This latest Christmas promise for people able to spend time together, and week before strict local lockdowns put a stop to that for so many people.
    That means that vulnerable people who thought they were going to be with family so didn't get in the essencials cos they wouldn't be home suddenly are left at the last minute with nothing, unable to go out, shops shut and totally isolated. Good luck getting a super market delivery to cover you at this stage.

I'm no fan of Boris and his cronies, and I think things could and should have been handled much better from the outstart. We had 2 weeks warning as to what was coming when we could have protected ourselves - we're an island. If all borders had been shut then we could have had a much better state - look at New Zealand. They shut everything and it was controlled with a seriously harsh lockdown. They then reopened their borders and they let in someone from here and it started again, but it was contained quickly and sorted.
    The changing of the rules between our countries squabbling and using it as a political football is ridiculous. It's simple, the scientists tell you to shut everything, lock everything then that's what you do, you don't carry on allowing friends and family to travel wherever they like, order rubbish ppe from your mates company and put another mate in charge of the test and trace app that is not exactly effective....

Yes Christmas being made more difficult is hard on everyone, harder on those in tier 4 who had plans to meet up with family. I, luckily had already made the decision I wasn't travelling to see my family and didn't want them here as we are so close to London. But I'm still sad, but it's the safest thing to do. Right now, that's what I have to hold on to - it being the safest thing. Marc and Hazel and I all have autoimmune conditions, Fern is allergic to so much so for me the fear is real. With my shopping list of diagnosis I fall in the high risk category, but I know if my Mum catches it with severe asthma and a heart condition that she has already outlived the prognosis for I am not going to be the one to give it to her. It is that simple.