Thread: Esketamine (derivative of ketamine)

Esketamine (derivative of ketamine)

Anti-depressant spray not recommended on NHS https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51279176

I had an awful experience while having treatment using ketamine - terrible hallucinations that frightened me so much I will never have this drug again. But I tried to look into this with an open mind as Esketamine is based on ketamine, but not exactly the same.

There seem to be a lot of MH professionals who are angry/upset that NICE haven’t licensed this for use in treatment resistant depression in the UK. It’s licensed by the FDA in the US and seems to be effective, along with oral ADs. Though it is apparently £10,000 for a single course of treatment - something our NHS arguably can’t afford, particularly as it wouldn’t be replacing existent treatment, but adding to it.

I’ve read comments that it doesn’t have as many side effects as other drugs used to treat depression but the side effects it does have are worrying enough that every treatment has to be given in a clinical setting, overseen by a doctor, and every patient needs to be remain in that setting (hospital, surgery, clinic etc) for 2 hours after receiving the dose. Oh, and they haven’t eradicated the hallucinations .....

So, I’m relieved it’s not licensed. I know not everybody will agree with me and I know I am biased against it to start with, but it seems to me to be a drug that causes as many issues as it treats.
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

OldMike (29-01-20),Suzi (29-01-20)

I must say that I too have been following this and have been really concerned about it. Ketamine isn't something to mess about with - for want of a better phrase.... It definitely sounds scary to me...
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

Paula (29-01-20)