Page 106 of 113 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,060 of 1129

Thread: Learning lessons and taking it forward

I’ve had a distressing day. I rang the doctors to talk about my new prescription for the higher dose that should start next week. She was very thorough and quickly realised that the topimarate dose prescribed by the neurologist was 25mg at night for 2 weeks then 50mg at night repeating. The prescription supplied to the pharmacy (which I was given a copy of) was for 25mg twice daily for 2 weeks then 50mg twice daily repeating. It’s no wonder I’ve been feeling so ill, with all my other meds. The doctor was cross and is going to flag it up as a potentially dangerous mistake. Anyway, we agreed it doesn’t make sense to go back a step but I’ll be taking 50mg at night, which may mean no dizzy spells in the day. I also asked her about the slight possibility that topimarate affects lithium levels so she agreed I need a lithium blood test. As I’m on multiple meds she also said they’ve recently taken on board an in-house pharmacist and she’s going to task her to look at all my meds and make sure they’re agreeing with each other.

An hour later she called back. She’s decided to have a good look back at my history and bloods. Where she discovered 2 things. 1. I’d been over medicated with my thyroid medicated since 2018. And 2. My last lithium blood test in March had shown my lithium level was right on the absolute top level of normal. Both she was very worried about. So, I’ve got to drop the thyroxine and have a blood test in 6 weeks and I’ve got to have a lithium test now (I’ve booked in this Tuesday) and we decide next steps from there.

I’m angry, and upset. All of this has and could have had a huge impact on my health. The lithium could have made me seriously ill and how could they have missed the thyroxine for 2 years?
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Wow! That is madness. When you are tested regularly there is no excuse for missing any of these things. No wonder you’re upset by it, I’d be exactly the same. Thankfully you’ve spoken to someone how it on the ball and it’s all getting resolved now.

Librarian and chief holder of antiquities and biscuits Jaquaia's Avatar
    That's ridiculous. How on earth has that been missed??.
    Tên përdu, jhamâi së rëcôbro

I have no idea. I’ve been in tears a lot today - they’ve let me down big time.
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

That's disgusting! I'm so glad it's been found now, but so many mistakes is unacceptable. I hope you're putting in proper formal complaints...
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Probably, but Si wants me to focus on getting it sorted first, for my own benefit. I don’t know if he’s right or Katie, my mum and my best friend .....

They are right and of course getting you sorted is the most important thing..
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Sorry, I wasn’t clear. The girls disagree with Si and think I should make a formal complaint

Yes, maybe you should make a formal complaint however the priority has to be on getting everything right with you first.
    How do you feel? Would drafting a letter help get this all out of your head? You don’t have to send it straight away and maybe Putting all those frustrations down on paper would be therapeutic? I dunno.

How do I feel? Yesterday I was shaken up. Today, I’m furious.