Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help needed

chris61

Help needed

Hi, This is my first post since my last depressive episode 3 years ago. I was really pleased and grateful to have found and received the help and support that this forum offers last time around and am hoping it will help again.

Over the last month or so I have found myself falling back into the black hole of depression again. Redundancy, parents ill health, personal health problem (myelitis), the death of our beloved 17 year old cat along with a tricky patch in my relationship seem to have combined so i find myself waking up the last few mornings feeling extremely down/ like I would like 'god' to reach down and strike me down with a heart attack or some fatal malady so I don't have to deal with feeling so drained, exhausted, isolated, lonely and down all the time. Its all so familiar from 3 years ago and just as horrible.

I have continued taking my 50g sertraline since my last episode but was in the process of trying to wean off it when everything came on top again. When that happened I went back to my normal 50g dosage again and after 4 weeks on this I spoke to my doc who recommended going up to 100g. Over the last 2 weeks I have been doing 75g doses with the aid of a pill cutter with the intention of making the transition to 100g smoother (I was going to start the 100g over the next few days). I have been taking the 75g in the morning.

The thing is that I have been feeling awful on waking, especially the last 3 or so days. I was wondering if people here have had any experience of taking the 2 tablets in a 100g dose at 2 separate points in the day - maybe 9 in the morning and 9 at night - in order to regulate the dose and spread the medication's effects across the day??? I have no idea if this would make any difference at all.

The doc also said that there might be a chance that, as when I started on the original dose, I would feel worse at first before feeling better.

I would love some advice if that's possible.

Also I seem to be drawing a blank on google but I would really love to find some sort of support group/ meeting in North London if anyone is aware of one. I have one friend who I am able to talk to about depression as she's also goes through it but I worry abt 'overloading' her and would love to find a group of people to share with on some sort of regular basis.

Thanks again

Hi and welcome back. Sorry you're feeling crappy though. Just as a reminder any dose change of meds will take somewhere between 4 and 8 weeks to fully get into your system and you get all the original side effects for the first couple of weeks - each time you change dose.
    By cutting your pills you will not have been getting exactly the same dose each day which is only going to make you feel worse.....

Sounds like you've had loads of horrible things happen, so it's no surprise you are struggling... I'm really glad you went to see your Dr and came back here too. You could always see if your local Mind group is running anything or your local CMHT might have a self refer group too...
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

It would probably be sensible to go up to the 100mg dose as soon as you can. Cutting pills is never recommended. But, yes as Suzi says, it’s going to take several weeks and you’re likely to feel worse at first. Does your partner know? Are they able to support you?
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Mira
    Hello and nice to meet you.

I am not able to give you advice on the meds. I did start taking the same medication 2 weeks ago but its my first time and I am on 50mg myself.

Not from around London so I am not able to help with a group. But it is a good idea and I do hope you can find one.

chris61
    Thanks for your replies and help. I am surprised that it isn't better to go up to 100 gradually but it makes sense as it chimes with what the doctor said. He said the way to go was to take 1 then 2 every second day for 2 weeks but I thought that would be a bit up and down dosewise. Have been taking care with the pill cutter but yes it prob isn't the same dose every day. Will try and get in touch with the doc tomorrow and see what they say re going up to 100.

My partner does know a bit - have just been saying that I have been feeling a bit down and have been underplaying it for fear of worrying her that we are going back to the place we went to 3 years ago.

Thanks so much - have a feeling I might be back here more regularly and I really really appreciate the help.

It’s possible that involving your partner now, while it’s only a recent dip, could help prevent you from going to where you were 3 years ago itms
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Definitely talk to your partner! As the partner of someone with mental health issues I always know when my lovely husband, Marc, is struggling- trust me, it's so much easier if he talks to me about it an tells me exactly what's going on.
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Just because you were bad 3 years ago, doesn't mean that you will get that bad this time. For one thing, you've recognized the symptoms and for another you've done something about it straight away.

Librarian and chief holder of antiquities and biscuits Jaquaia's Avatar
    I agree with these ladies. I always know when my partner is struggling and vice versa. It's better when we know what's going on.
    Tên përdu, jhamâi së rëcôbro

chris61
    Thanks again. And got to say your advice re my partner makes a lot of sense. Been together 17 years or so now so think she might have some idea about where I'm at head wise! My dad was taken into hospital yesterday and that's not helping the mood either. In London and they're in Liverpool so cant just nip over anymore.

I have taken the dose up to the 100 agreed with my doc since yesterday. Really hoping it helps. Feel so cut off from everything and everyone. Sure i'm not saying anything new but its such a lonely illness, don't feel I can explain how I feel to anyone without sounding full of self pity and don't think anyone could really understand anyway.

So glad this forum is here.