Page 76 of 145 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886126 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 2: the book addict rejoins the world

It’s so sad when a parent pushes their children away by that sort of behaviour but unfortunately not unusual. I’m just so grateful those children have you in their lives now - you will enrich them and provide stability they’ve been severely lacking
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

Jaquaia (28-12-19)

Librarian and chief holder of antiquities and biscuits Jaquaia's Avatar
    There was an incident while J was getting changed on Christmas Eve. T accidentally shot A in her toes from a short distance while playing with a nerf gun. A started crying as it hurt (cheap fake bullets that Cruella bought) and T panicked and tried to hug her and apologise which she was having none of. I calmly told T to leave her alone to cry for a little while until she was calmer and she came to snuggle into my side. It makes me feel sad that he was so surprised that he wasn't in trouble for it. I want them to feel safe coming to me with anything
    Tên përdu, jhamâi së rëcôbro

I had a pop gun which fired a cork when I was but knee high to a grasshopper. Had to look up nerf gun which apparently fires soft sponge ammo. That was a lovely story Jaq and you handled it perfectly
    77 and counting, less of the "Old" call me "Mike"

You're going to the panto? They'll love that!

I think it shows a huge amount that they've bonded with you so fast! I'm not surprised, but thrilled!
    Are you beginning to see quite how important you are to them already?
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Mike, these ones had a hard plastic tip so no wonder it hurt. The proper ones are soft foam.

Suzi, I'm not sure if the children know I'm going yet, but J and his mum are adamant that I am. I just want to do the best I can and be there for them.

Mira
    Is that not the best way to deal with that kind of event? I am sure he was shocked enough when it happened. I can remember these things from my childhood as well. And having someone react the way you did is awesome.

His mum would have shouted at him and banned him off something, usually his phone or xbox

Mira
    I doubt that in this case that would have been a good solution. I did not mean to but I have hurt my sister in a bad way when we were younger. I was so scared that I hid under the table while they went to the doctor. And I did not dare come out. I was around 7 I think but I remember it real well. So I dont think I needed more punishment that day.

I completely agree. We all did things by accident that hurt someone when we were little, but I wouldn't have had the experience he had with you when it was me. I remember the consequences..... Trust me, he needs you in his life and someone who can help and support.....
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

One of the things I want is to show those children what a family should be like. Not abuse and fear but love and support. It's what they all deserve