Page 141 of 145 FirstFirst ... 4191131139140141142143 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,410 of 1445

Thread: Chapter 2: the book addict rejoins the world

Librarian and chief holder of antiquities and biscuits Jaquaia's Avatar
    Ffs. My wrist is absolutely throbbing today. I've taken paracetamol and ibuprofen, massaged my wrist with tiger balm and am using both my compression glove and my splint. Luckily it's my left wrist so I can still study (my RA has never been symmetrical). My mum come into my room, told me about a letter she got from the doctor, and then pointed out I hadn't washed her dressing gowns yet and when I asked what was wrong with her putting them in the washer...

"You get paid for it..."
    Tên përdu, jhamâi së rëcôbro

Wow! That wasn’t a degrading comment at all . The sooner you’re out of there, hunni, the better
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

She said she was joking but I really didn't find it funny

You get paid for it? Wow, nice comment there..... How did you reply to that?
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

I just looked at her. I get £66 a week carers allowance. I do a lot of the housework, sort her meds, order her meds, go to appointments with her, do the washing, help with tea, change bedding but apparently £66 a week makes that ok...

You’re her carer, not her slave
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

This is why J wants to keep the cleaner when I move in. He knows I'll push myself to try and do everything that needs doing

So 66 pounds a week. There are 168 hours in a week, so that works out at approx 40 pence per hour!! Does your mum know how much it is going to cost when she has to get carers in?

That's outrageous! Are you planning on carrying on doing most of that when you move out?
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

I only have to do 32 hours a week to be entitled to carers but still! It works out around £2 an hour. It takes around an hour to sort out her meds. A good half an hour to an hour to sort the washing as they don't seem capable of putting clothes in right way or putting them in the wash basket. It takes about an hour to change bedding and I very rarely have help to put the quilt cover on and they have a king size bed... an hour, maybe more to fold washing. Then there's appointments, sorting letters, trying to get her to take her meds properly. I'm planning on doing some of it when I move out as I'll be here on a Wednesday night until I've passed my test, it can just be exhausting. Today for example, everytime I've tried to take my splint off, my wrist has started throbbing. I tend to still do stuff as I can't cope with medical top trumps