Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Musings of Decades

Like what? Have you given examples and I've missed them?
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

I'm not being particularly specific because it's lots of things. Just visions of how I want my life to be. But the goal now in to stop living in my head like this, to stop living in a future that probably won't happen. The future never turns out exactly how you plan it. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad, but never exactly how you plan it, so it's best not to feel on it. I intend to stay living in the now more. I've being doing exactly that for a few weeks now and I'm already feeling the benefits.

Why won't it happen?

Nothings ever exactly how we plan it but, if we don’t have dreams, we miss all the potentially wonderful things we can find while on the journey towards those dreams
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

OK, maybe instead of talking about aiming for dreams and fantasies, it might make more sense to talk in terms of 'being the person I want to be'. Now that sounds like something I should go for, but the person I want to be is an outgoing, creative person, and the fact is that just isn't me. Now I can spend my whole life trying to be that person, or just try and work out who I actually am and be happy being that person. I don't want to spend my whole life in the future, a future which may or may not happen. I'm just going to miss life if I do that.

You can work closer to being that person you want - it starts with being comfortable within the situation you are in. For me, it's being with a particular group of people and practising being there with them and seeing if you can become more confident in that setting, then move to a different setting. You can do this.