Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I ill try it here.. *SH*and *over 18 only*

lafo57
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
    Is this your first year at uni? Will you have the opportunity to meet new people and make new friends? Are you going to be living at home or moving away?
    I'm moving away. Yea there will be lots of people to meet. Im kinda counting on it that I will me some new friends that will treat me better. And yea this is my first year

lafo57
    Is this your first year at uni? Will you have the opportunity to meet new people and make new friends? Are you going to be living at home or moving away?
    I'm sorry but I think it didnt send so I'm sending my reponse again. If it was indeed sent that feel free to delete this post.
    Yes Its my first year at uni and yes there will be lots of new people to meet. I'm kinda counting on it because I want new friends that will treat me better

Are you moving far away? My eldest is leaving at the weekend and he's going across the country...
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

lafo57
    Are you moving far away? My eldest is leaving at the weekend and he's going across the country...
    Its 2 hours travelling by train from my home. Its not that far I guess but its far enough for me to start being independent.
    Maybe a stupid question but are you scared? How does it feel to send your eldest that far?
    Btw update : Today I called them out for a beer and they didnt respond so I went to have a beer myself alone. Then I met a friend of mine who told me that the guys I invited to have a beer with me went out to eat and to have a beer.. I felt really down at first. Like really sad. But slowly my sadness is becoming an anger because I dont know what I have done to deserve this.. Gotta say anger is better emotion for me than sadness tho

Am I scared? Yes and no... I know academically he'll be fine, socially I'm concerned as he has Aspergers, but I also know that this uni has so much support in place for him which they are automatically putting in place for him that it's OK. It also helps that it's 20 mins for my best friend to get to him in an emergency! However, moving away from home for uni was one of the best decisions I ever made.
    Have you told anyone at your uni that you are struggling with your mental health? At least the tutors will be aware and you could get extra help etc?

lafo57
    I'm sorry but I really don't know what Aspergers is.. Is it one of those syndromes that when it affects somebody the individual is having problem like with social interactions or something like that?
    No not yet. But I do know that there psychologists for those who need them but the only support I will probably have is financial. I can give them papers that my parents are divorced and that I suffer from schizophrenia and probably deppression and they give me Money thats all

Aspergers is one of the areas that come under the umbrella of Autistic Spectrum Disorders. So yeah, the social "thing" can be really, really hard.

Go to the disability service and tell them about it - you could be able to get loads of support, a disabled students allowance and better understanding...

lafo57
    Yea I'm going there tomorrow I'll see what happens. With a little luck I will find somebody who can really help me. I'm trying not to count on it though.
    I'm sorry to ask but I'm just curious: Was it really hard to take care of him? Did he have some special needs or attention?

In what way? People with ASD are all as different as people without. My husband, eldest and youngest all have Aspergers. It means that they see the world slightly differently, and we've had our far share of meltdowns, but no more than any child imho, but maybe that's because I'm was specially trained in ASD and Behavioural issues when I was teaching..