Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I Despise Myself *SU TRIGGERS *

Librarian and chief holder of antiquities and biscuits Jaquaia's Avatar
    I've found the OU to be brilliant. My tutors for both my level 1 modules were both incredibly supportive and had no problems giving me extensions if I needed them when my head wasn't working properly. It also removes the need to leave the house and actually deal with people!!!

Breaking down with a counsellor/doctor is ok. They've seen/heard it all before. They'll be able to suggest services that can help woth self-esteem too.
    Tên përdu, jhamâi së rëcôbro

You have nothing to be ashamed of and I promise you wont be the first or last to cry in front of a doctor... You could also take your partner with you?
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

Tommy_85
    Hi Penguin mate, read your post and just want to offer my support to you. I'm a 34 year old male, suffer with depression and social anxiety. I myself am very unfulfilled in life as well.
    Have almost no social life, hardly anything that interests or stimulates me and feel so apathetic and useless in life. I think you've shown yourself to be very dedicated and strong willed in many ways- to of kept up with weight training /bodybuilding since the age of 16 till now is very impressive. Throughout my life I have never really kept to a hobby or interest and give up on things very easily. Also to work solidly for 10 years at a job you do not get fulfilment from shows a hell of a lot of grit and staying power. Things seem to be very hard for you and I really feel for what you're going through. Best wishes to you, feel free to contact me.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tommy_85 For This Useful Post:

Strugglingmum (01-09-19),Suzi (01-09-19)

Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_85 View Post
    Hi Penguin mate, read your post and just want to offer my support to you. I'm a 34 year old male, suffer with depression and social anxiety. I myself am very unfulfilled in life as well.
    Have almost no social life, hardly anything that interests or stimulates me and feel so apathetic and useless in life. I think you've shown yourself to be very dedicated and strong willed in many ways- to of kept up with weight training /bodybuilding since the age of 16 till now is very impressive. Throughout my life I have never really kept to a hobby or interest and give up on things very easily. Also to work solidly for 10 years at a job you do not get fulfilment from shows a hell of a lot of grit and staying power. Things seem to be very hard for you and I really feel for what you're going through. Best wishes to you, feel free to contact me.
    Thanks a lot for that mate, a few things you pointed out there did actually make me feel a little better too. Thanks to everyone else as well for the suggestions and support, I appreciate it all.

In regards with what you have said Tommy I do feel really bad as I'm in no position to give advice. I really wish I was. What keeps me going at the moment is knowing how my mum and brother would feel if I did something stupid, its the easy way out for us all and I'd only be leaving them with even more to cope with which i know is wrong.

If you don't mind me asking do you know what has caused your feelings, like was there a significant event or has it just been how your brain functions? What frustrates me is that I know I have a lot to be grateful for yet I still can't seem to be.

Tommy_85
    Hi mate, nice to hear from you. It is very true that you have shown a lot of strength to manage to push yourself every day to do something that is causing you unhappiness. Not easy at all. In regards to my depression and anxiety there has not been a significant traumatic event in life that made me the way I am today. I just have never been comfortable in my own skin I guess. I haven't found my place in life. moved from job to job, dropped out of various courses over the years, moved around, drifted a lot. Just felt underwhelmed with life for a long time and withdraw and isolate myself due to the way I feel. The constant in my life has been my mother who means the world to me and without her I would feel completely empty. I think if you have the foundations of a job you enjoy, loving family, supportive friends and social life it makes life feel worthwhile. Unfortunately lot of people don't have these things.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tommy_85 For This Useful Post:

I think it's great that you both have your Mums who you both love and who are obvious support for you.

Just one thing though - I don't for one second think of suicide as the "easy way out" at all. I don't believe it's the best option and that there are always other things to do/try before that, but I'd never think it was easy.

Stay and talk. You are both more than welcome and wanted here.
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

AAndrea
    Hey Penguin
    Welcome.to forum . The people here are so lovely and nonjudgemental.
    You sound cool a body builder.I hate sport or working out but when it comes to body builders admire them for their determination .
    It's never too late to turn your life around.
    At least you have your Gcses some people don't and struggle.
    At you have worked i am 22 and never worked . You are not a.failure trust me.
    Please don't end your life because you don't know what the future can bring . In 5 years time you could be in a different job or maybe a country , you can be an amazing husband or become a father. So much can change
    Sucide is the biggest killer of men under 45.
    Men are our brothers, husbands , sons .
    Please get see your gp and get help. I know its.hard but don't stop fighting
    I love you
    Andrea

11. The Following User Says Thank You to AAndrea For This Useful Post:

Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_85 View Post
    Hi mate, nice to hear from you. It is very true that you have shown a lot of strength to manage to push yourself every day to do something that is causing you unhappiness. Not easy at all. In regards to my depression and anxiety there has not been a significant traumatic event in life that made me the way I am today. I just have never been comfortable in my own skin I guess. I haven't found my place in life. moved from job to job, dropped out of various courses over the years, moved around, drifted a lot. Just felt underwhelmed with life for a long time and withdraw and isolate myself due to the way I feel. The constant in my life has been my mother who means the world to me and without her I would feel completely empty. I think if you have the foundations of a job you enjoy, loving family, supportive friends and social life it makes life feel worthwhile. Unfortunately lot of people don't have these things.
    I can relate to many of those things. Even though I havent moved much at all, all I want is to be fulfilled/content with where I am. The problem is if someone where to ask 'OK, what would make you feel that?' I can't give a specific answer.

I would love to be more outgoing but from a young child I have had major social anxiety and have isolated myself through choice. I'd rather be alone than with a group of people. Some take that as ignorant or even because of my size as some kind of aggression, which couldn't be further from the truth.

At least you have moved around a lot and seen different places on the positive side. I'm still in the same bloody town I was born in lol. Really hope we both find something that fits.

Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
    I think it's great that you both have your Mums who you both love and who are obvious support for you.

Just one thing though - I don't for one second think of suicide as the "easy way out" at all. I don't believe it's the best option and that there are always other things to do/try before that, but I'd never think it was easy.

Stay and talk. You are both more than welcome and wanted here.
    I'll be more specific here so I apologise of this is very morbid or breaks any rules.

What I meant was the after effects. The actual doing of the deed I totally agree would be horrendous, there is no guaranteed, painless way to go. But say you did and you put yourself through that hell its your loved ones who are left behind that have to deal with the grief. You would feel nothing after but they would feel it everyday of their lives. One of my best friends committed suicide near Xmas 2017, I was one of friends who carried his coffin and I could only imagine what his family must have been/gone through. He was 27 at the time, same age as me we grew up together at school.

Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by AAndrea View Post
    Hey Penguin
    Welcome.to forum . The people here are so lovely and nonjudgemental.
    You sound cool a body builder.I hate sport or working out but when it comes to body builders admire them for their determination .
    It's never too late to turn your life around.
    At least you have your Gcses some people don't and struggle.
    At you have worked i am 22 and never worked . You are not a.failure trust me.
    Please don't end your life because you don't know what the future can bring . In 5 years time you could be in a different job or maybe a country , you can be an amazing husband or become a father. So much can change
    Sucide is the biggest killer of men under 45.
    Men are our brothers, husbands , sons .
    Please get see your gp and get help. I know its.hard but don't stop fighting
    I love you
    Andrea
    I really appreciate your kind words.

Can I just say I didn't mean to upset anyone or make them feel bad. Yes I have a job but it leaves me deeply unfilfilled, I honestly wasn't implying people who having worked or are in the same sector are failures, not at all. Its just trying to find what I would be content/happy with, for some that maybe a min wage job that certain sections look down on. I couldn't care less. As long as I got enjoyment I would work for peanuts, its only at 29 I've realised how important happiness really is!

While it doesn't have to be weight lifting at all I would encourage anyone to find some form of exercise/sport they could get into. Even just to go swimming a few lengths at your local pool. What I can say is that for me when I train, I can stick my headphones in for the next couple hours and be who I want. Its the 22 hours after that's the problem lol. But at least it does give me that little something to enjoy/have fun with.