Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Hello Everybody

I completely agree with Jaq!
    I have a degree, a husband, 3 children and 3 dogs. I'm not working, I do this voluntarily and am about to start training for another volunteer role. I won't be able to teach again realistically due to my illnesses, and that sucks as I adore teaching, but I have to do what I can and where I can. It doesn't make me stupid or any less valuable in society at all because of it. You need to find a way to changing your thought processes.
    I'll also add that some of the meds I take daily are horrible and I hate them, but I hate them less than I hate life without them. Sometimes you have to take the meds to help..... or counselling or psych or call a helpline or the crisis line - there are so many options, you just need to take them.
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

AAndrea
    Jaquauia your story is really interesting. I have looked at local crisis team .
    My local crisis team is Barnet Crisis Resolution and Home teatment.
    They can be contacted 24 hours a day. They offer short term intensive home treatment for people with a mental health crisis
    This is not going to work.
    Home vist is no no
    I am hiding my mental illness from my family. I have to.

Librarian and chief holder of antiquities and biscuits Jaquaia's Avatar
    Then your options are counselling, medication, support groups, or both. Things won't get better if you don't change something.
    Tên përdu, jhamâi së rëcôbro

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaquaia For This Useful Post:

AAndrea
    Jaquaia true

I sometimes feel like I am being punished . When I was younger I used to think people who killed themselves especially if they were parent with a younger child were selfish .
    In secondary school I once said in a class mothers with postnatal depression should not be allowed to have more children. I had to apologise for my remarks as one girl in my class mum had the condition.
    Maybe I deserve my depression diagnosis. For me this karma .

No one deserves mental health or physical health conditions.
    I've had pnd with each of my babies...

Is there no way that you can talk to your family about being ill? Maybe they'll surprise you?

Librarian and chief holder of antiquities and biscuits Jaquaia's Avatar
    They were uneducated comments from a child with very little experience of the world. It really is as simple as that. A lot of people think suicide is selfish as they don't understand. There is no punishment, just being ill. Depression can be caused by trauma, bereavement, illness, hormones, chemical imbalances... so many reasons but not punishment. You are ill and you will not get better unless you allow yourself to get treatment. You just need to decide what treatment you want. Some people just go for counselling, some just for medication, some for a combination of both. Moderate to severe depression, the recommended treatment is therapy and meds.

If you try the medication route, it's important to remember that they take 4-6 weeks to start working and the same with each dosage change, side effects can last up to 2 weeks, sometimes it takes trying a few different ones to find one that works, and there are around 21 different licensed ADs and other psychiatric drugs they can try. Above all, your GP legally cannot discuss your medication with your family as they would be breaking patient confidentiality.

If you try the therapy route, the main types used are counselling (talking therapy) and CBT. Counselling helps you work through things, the counsellor shouldn't give advice, but instead guide you as you work through things. CBT works on changing behaviours. You may be offered one or the other, or even integrated therapy, which is both. Again, therapists are bound by client confidentiality and can only contact others, and then I think it's only the police or your GP, if they think you're a danger to yourself or others. If they did otherwise they would be struck off.

Mind sometimes run groups. You could contact them and see what help they offer, it would also get you out of the house and maybe start breaking the cycle you're stuck in. Look at meditation too.
    Tên përdu, jhamâi së rëcôbro

AAndrea
    I can't talk to my family under any circumstances whatsoever.
    When I self harmed when I was 16 My mum screamed at me calling me selfish and attention seeking . My mum was buying creams to.cover my screams and told me to cover arm during pe because she did not want the school calling social services . She refused for me get counselling or any help . The main reason I was self harming was because I was resisting my maths gcse for the third time . At the time there was requirement that you needed a C if you wanted to do anything. People were making fun of me for resisitng.
    My nan laughs at people with Depression. I remember at my graduation ceremony there was a student who is amputee with a rare illness telling us his life story and him graduating. At the end of graduation ceremony on the way home my mum boyfriend talked out how inspirational he was .My nan agreed and then said people who are depressed and take antidepressants are pathetic.
    Being black with depression is a taboo . I have grown up with the most toxic attitudes regarding mental health in my family . My family believe if you kill yourself you burn in hell.
    Does that look like a family you could tell about your MH.

Then you have to find another way to get the help. Could you go to a mind meeting or something?

To be honest, my whole outlook on life changed when I had my breakdown. Before I was only out for myself, but I worried about what everyone thought about me. I've realised since, that the only person people worry about is themselves.
    I can't work ever again. Therefore, I now volunteer in a school, one morning a week, and I've actually never been happier. I was never this happy when I had to work.
    Maybe volunteering somewhere would get you out of the house, and make you feel useful again.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to magie06 For This Useful Post:

Suzi (12-09-19)

AAndrea
    Magie06 sorry about your breakdown. I am glad you found happiness in your life.
    I know this sound stupid but the boy i used to like to in secondary school i found out recently he so successful in terms of career he works in suveying and he has a girlfriend who he has been dating since school. This guy always knew he i liked him and we were friends. It never worked out.
    He is so smart, shares the same birthday as me and he was really cute.
    I feel like i am never going to met anyone like him ever.
    I always wonder what my life would have been like if we were together.

Thank you everybody . This has really helped .
    Last edited by Suzi; 12-09-19 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Merging posts, please try not to double post! :)