Hi all,

I’m new to this and have found this forum useful so far. I am looking for some tips/advice to help my brother.

He seems to have been suffering from depression for around 6 months since an on/off relationship ended with a woman who he really cared for but could be quite cutting with her words when things weren’t going right. I think this knocked his confidence. He now feels he is boring and can’t talk to people. She messed him about a lot despite him trying to help her through her own mental health problems.

Since then he feels he is going nowhere, all friends have moved onto marriage and kids, own homes etc. He has always been a popular person but now I think he is very lonely. He has a good career but is failing to see any positives in life.

My parents have tried to help him but he gets very upset and often cries. He was starting to see someone new who is lovely but he is showing no interest at all and it seems to be fizzling out. He is adamant he won’t see a Doctor or get help in any way and that he will be ok in a while.

We are all trying to be positive about him and willing to listen but he doesn’t seem to be ready to accept help or do anything at the moment. I feel bad for him and my parents who feel they are having to tip-toe around him.

Any ideas/experiences would be greatly appreciated.