Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading atm?

Crouching Hitwoman, Hidden Tea Lady amaeru's Avatar
    I loved Lord of the Flies. Very chilling but an interesting study of the savage beneath the surface of the 'civilised'
    I miss reading. I used to read voraciously. (I'm a cereal box reader too. - even the backs of shampoo bottles

I kind of lost the habit when I was caring for my nan. I tried to start reading again after she died, but my concentration is not what it was.
    I'd really love to get back in the habit

When I struggled with concentration or commitment to reading I read short stories, ones I could get through in one hit that way it didn't matter too much how long it was between my reads.

Thats a great idea Zepp. Mmmm maybe I'll dust off my MR James anrhology. I do love a good creepy story.

Another one that bored me is The Great Gatsby. Complete dullsville IMO

The Bone Thief, however, is brilliant
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

In that case you may like HP Lovcrafts Necronomicon. I've read it about half way through but then started reading during my lunch break at work again and the book is huge so I don't want to lug it back and forth with me. I don't know MR James, I may have to look that up...

I think the dullest book I've read was Moby Dick, the actual story part could have been condensed down into a book about a quarter the thickness, persevered and got through it though.

Now I'm with you on Gatsby. Dull dull dull.
    I liked Tender is the Night tho.

The Bone Thief ..... is that Whitworth or Bass? Not read either but both look interesting.

Poxy autocorrect. I meant The Book Thief. I read it before the film came out but the film was a good adaptation
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

I read some Lovecraft in my teens. Brilliantly weird.
    James was an oxford don famous for his ghost stories. I loved the Monkeys Paw.....( be careful what you wish for )

Lol. Auto correct is a pain in the arris
    I have read the Book thief... havent seen the movie tho. The book was brilliant I agree