Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading atm?

I've just downloaded 'Return to Poughkeepsie' by Debra Anastasia. I read the first book and loved it, so I'm looking forward to this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Return-Pough...o+poughkeepsie
    I wake up every day planning to be productive and then a voice in my head says, "Ha Ha! Good one!" And we laugh and laugh and then I take a nap.

Mart1
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
    I haven't read that one, I've been a huge SKing fan for years, but have been a bit disappointed with his later ones...
    I like Stephen King’s older novels the most too but I thought ‘Cell’ and ‘Under the Dome’ were really good and I like the TV show of ‘Under the Dome.’

tryinghard
    Michael Connolly is my favourite author, but I have been reading a lot of James Patterson. I like detective crime stories, both in books & on TV, real stories & CSI type stories. I have gone to Patterson because his chapters are only 3-4 pages & my attention span & concentration is poor. I also like sports autobiographies, & photography tutorials.

Finally finished reading Uncle Toms Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe on Thursday, I'd been reading it since February. It's a really good book but it was a relief to finish it. It's focused mainly around slavery and although the story is fictional,the events depicted are the kinds of things that actually occurred. I found it affected me quite a lot and I really felt for the characters in it. It does depict some absolutely remarkable feats of human endurance though.
    On Friday I started The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson. I came by the book by chance in the hospital book shop, the title immediately leaped out at me.

Have been reading The Great Gatsby. I watched the new film first and quite enjoyed that but, and given I'm an avid reader and always prefer books over films, I found the book boring. I've got about a third left and haven't picked it up in weeks - I usually devour books in a day. IMHO, it's dull
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Crouching Hitwoman, Hidden Tea Lady amaeru's Avatar
    I can relate to that Paula - I remember reading it years ago and finding it a shallow empty little book much like its lead character. It does make a good movie though
    I preferred his 'Tender is the Night' - it has a lot more substance. It's semi-autobiograhpical and deals in fictionalised form with his battles with his own alcoholism ad his wife's schizophrenia.

I bought 'The Railway Man' yesterday - It too was made into a film recently - though I didn't get to see it. It's Eric Lomax's account of his time as a Japanese POW working o the Burma Railway (Bridge on the River Kwai and all that) and his coming to terms with what happened to him and later meeting up, forgiving and reconciling with one of his Japanese tormentors.
    I haven't started it yet. But will soon

EJ
    I am reading Clarissa Dickson-Wrights autobiography. I was reading it on the ferry when we came back form Holland. It does not make comfortable reading especially as she was a recovering alcoholic and went into Promis rehab. She talks about many things including the fact that Jennifer was a recovering alcoholic too but still drank. She mentions Beechy Colcough who has disappeared off the radar (was struck off) She also talks about setting up Books for Cooks and becoming the first female barrister. A sad book but an excellent read.

Guardian of the North and kipper holder Angie's Avatar
    I'm reading The hunt for Red October right now
    If you can’t fly, then run, if you can’t run, then walk, if you can’t walk, then crawl, but by all means keep moving.
    Quote by Martin Luther King JR

I'm currently reading Patricia Cornwell Scarpetta series..
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Finished The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson today. A very entertaining book but also very interesting too, touching on various mental health issues alongside psychopathy and the various different attempts made to treat them.

Think I'll start Shutter Island tomorrow. Only discovered it was a book recently after Googling the film which is also good (despite having Leonardo DiCaprio in it) so having liked the film decided to get the book and give it a go.