Thread: Been prescribed anti-depressants

Rossy

Been prescribed anti-depressants

Hi all,

I’m new here today, and what a great forum, I must say. I’ve been feeling constantly on edge for sometime now, and having started a new job at the start of March this year, I’ve noticed I’ve started to experience feelings that are not so nice. I’ve got this constant feeling of impending doom, I’m nervous around people, I get shy/embarrassed for no reason, and often feel like I just want to hibernate in my bed. They are just some of the things I’m feeling at the moment. I finally went to see my GP yesterday as I had a constant tension headache that lasted almost 3 days (Monday-Wednesday) and I’ve not been able to work. My blood pressure is through the roof and I’ve been put on meds to bring this down. My doctor asked me some questions, and then said he felt I was suffering with anxiety, and that he could tell I was anxious from how I was presenting myself. I’ve been a little tearful from time to time too. My GP has put my on Sertraline for my anxiety, and I have to go back this afternoon for them to start blood tests.
    Thankfully my job involves me working from home, but today I need to reach out to my boss and tell him what my GP has advised me. This is making me feel quite anxious and nervous, and I just don’t know what to say to him. I’m worried I’m going to lose my job. I work as an IT Consultant, so I’m always pretty busy, and it can be stressful at times. Any advice on how to approach this would be much appreciated. Thankfully I’ve just passed and completed my probation period at work, which means I’m covered for 28 sick days a year at full pay, but I’m still concerned they may let me go as I’ve not been there very long.

Thanks in advance.

Rossy

Hi! Well done for going to see your GP. That's a huge leap and can be really daunting. It's also brilliant that you are planning on telling your boss too so you can have their support. If you're struggling with what to say then have a look at the time-to-change website, they have some great ways of starting conversations.

Do you have any support around you? What about eating and drinking sensibly and getting any exercise?
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Rossy
    Hi Suzi and thank you. I plucked up the courage to message my boss. I said if he needs to talk to me to call me, and I said that I’m taking the rest of the week off (today/tomorrow), so that I can try and be relaxed. From a support perspective, yes I have my partner who is just amazing. Eating and drinking is a lot better than it was at the start of this week. I went out for a meal last night, and while I felt anxious the whole time and just wanted to get up and leave, I did eat all my food, and I’ve been making sure I drink plenty of water. I’m going to have some me time these next few days. I think I might also see if I can get booked in for a massage and see if that helps to de-stress me.

Sounds like you're doing all the things you can to help yourself. Glad that you're able to talk to your partner about things and they are being supportive.

Rossy
    Thanks Suzi. I’m trying to be positive today now I’ve messaged my boss and heard back from him and all seems ok. I’m going to head out for a walk later to the park.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rossy For This Useful Post:

Suzi (06-06-19)

Hi and welcome . You’re doing all the right things and well done for being honest with your boss! Fresh air and exercise are a great idea, too
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Glad your boss was understanding! Enjoy the walk!