Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Struggling to cope *SU trigger*

I'm afraid I can't give you any advice on dealing with teenage daughters, hope all goes well at the docs, hope you and Greg have a nice lunch out
    77 and counting, less of the "Old" call me "Mike"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to OldMike For This Useful Post:

Is she happy at school? Is she sociable? Working OK?
    I know how crappy it can be..
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Oh hunni, I get it. The things Jess has said to me over the years have been awful. But she’s 18 now and it is getting easier - and I’m sure it will with Lena too. One thing my mum said, and I think it’s true, is that it showed that Jess trusted me
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

CaterpillarGirl
    She's doing fine at school, she had some counselling for her anxiety which really helped. I'm feeling a lot worse today because after a lovely day with Greg he made a fly away comment about topping himself if he didn't have money in the bank, he didn't mean anything by it but it really upset me and he just couldn't understand where I was coming from. I had had a few drinks and I know I shouldn't have, I ended up going to stay at my friends because I felt so worthless and just wanted to die and didn't trust myself on my own. I've tried talking to him with us both sober but he still didn't get it so I've just sent him a really long message explaining my feelings about it all and I'm just waiting for him to read it and reply, I can't settle down until it's sorted because I'm hurting so much right now after the way he has reacted and I feel like he's not even trying to understand things from my perspective

Oh sweetheart.. You know that alcohol is a depressant.... You're trying to deal with so much right now.

WRT Greg, have you managed to get him to see what you mean?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

CaterpillarGirl
    Yes we had a really good talk after he read my message and he understands where I was coming from now. I'm not going to drink for now, at least until my meds are sorted (I'm not a big drinker anyway, usually only special occasions or when we go away) thank you as always for your support, I also got a big cuddle off Lena when she came home because I asked me dad to have a word with her while she was there to let her know how she'd made me feel, today is a much better day and the sunshine definitely helps! I'm off to Manchester to check out the universities zero waste shop

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CaterpillarGirl For This Useful Post:

OldMike (03-06-19)

Well done on having that talk, that’s always tough to do so you should be proud and that was a good idea getting your dad to have a word with Lena
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

Angepange01
    Hi Hope you dont mind me replying to your thread. ive just joined and am slowly reading about peoples experience with depression as I have been living with someone who suffers for many years. Please dont ever say you dont want to be here!! Everybody has a worth as a human being and you just need to find a small tiny glimmer of a happy place for yourself. What meds are you taking? My husband has been on Fluoxitine for years but really I dont think its doing that much good. He of course has self medicated over the years with Alcohol cocaine etc but its all a short term fix that makes him feea bit but then the come down is horrid and he also has to deal with the guilt he feels for having no willpower. its an endless cycle of good and bad days but NEVER would it be better without him!! I take the good days with the bad as he is a fab human being just dealing with a lot of crap not to say I dont want to throttle him some days when Im having to deal with work the children and just general everyday stuff while hes sleeping or feeling like he doesnt want to leave the house. I want him to try a more natural and maybe herbal route if I can but not really sure where to start. Gonna do some research into it and see if anyone on here maybe has any advice. Have you tried any alternatives to help with how your feeling? I know a lot of people say meditation can help alot.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Angepange01 For This Useful Post:

Well done lovely! Great strategies and results...
    Last edited by Suzi; 03-06-19 at 05:18 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

Well done CGirl on having a good talk with Greg. Not quite sure what a zero waste shop is, whatever it is hope you find what you want.
    77 and counting, less of the "Old" call me "Mike"

17. The Following User Says Thank You to OldMike For This Useful Post: