Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Depression, loneliness & excessive worry*SH Trigs*

Calm down. Can you get to a CAB and get them to help you?
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

SA89
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
    Calm down. Can you get to a CAB and get them to help you?
    There's 1 in town but its closed. My appointment with jobcentre has been put forward to next week. I usually get hardship which is over 150 a month which goes to my mum but can't even get that caus I recieved a payment from training last month. They're liable to be reported for this because they told me the sanction had ended & I should expect the full amount of Universal Credit. Now all of a sudden they tell me this? wtf. Imagine if this was to tip me over the edge considering my fragile mental health. It'd be not too dissimilar to the Jeremy Kyle case that's been in the media recently ..

Can you call CAB? In some areas they have a centralised telephone support
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SA89 View Post
    There's 1 in town but its closed. My appointment with jobcentre has been put forward to next week. I usually get hardship which is over 150 a month which goes to my mum but can't even get that caus I recieved a payment from training last month. They're liable to be reported for this because they told me the sanction had ended & I should expect the full amount of Universal Credit. Now all of a sudden they tell me this? wtf. Imagine if this was to tip me over the edge considering my fragile mental health. It'd be not too dissimilar to the Jeremy Kyle case that's been in the media recently ..
    I know you're upset, but please can you stop talking about being "tipped over the edge" as there have been quite enough cases.... What about finding out who your local counsellor or MP is and asking them for help?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

SA89
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
    I know you're upset, but please can you stop talking about being "tipped over the edge" as there have been quite enough cases.... What about finding out who your local counsellor or MP is and asking them for help?
    I've just come off the phone to the samaritans, something like this really triggers me into that downward spiral of despair so I don't say that lightly. On top of that my brothers being playing up again, being disrespectful to my mum. Today I've felt like a boiling pot of emotions with my anxiety. The samaritan was really lovely & the best chat I've ever had with them.

She was understanding & constructive unlike my 1st experience calling them when I was abruptly cut off. I told her literally everything that I've mentioned on here. That call has reallly encouraged me to call them more often, especially when I'm in distress. It definitely helped calm me down a bit as its good to talk openly. It's also encouraged me to volunteer myself as a samaritan & I have an interview next month to discuss that . I could look into the CAB support & a counsellor perhaps.

I would urge not volunteering as a samaritan when you are so volatile yourself.
    We've been suggesting to you for ages about getting CAB and proper medical help...

I am glad you called them and found them to be helpful.

With regard to your earlier comments, I've had it from several members about how your posts sound flippant and as if you are threatening suicide just for effect and how it's upsetting them. Please be more mindful in what you are posting. I will start to remove comments like that if you continue.

Well done for calling the Samaritans, and being honest with them. I hope you do remember to talk to them when you need that extra support.

WRT volunteering, I’ve worked for CAB and for a signposting service at my local hospital. Obviously, I also help out here. I know that, in those environments, you may have to deal with all sorts of things that can be very triggering and have had to step back countless times to protect my own mental health. Please, please, please consider very carefully whether it’s the right thing to do at the moment. That’s not to say you might not do it in the future, but maybe when you’re more settled?
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

SA89
    I've been to register with a teaching agency today in Manchester to work in SEN schools. Its the 4th agency I'm now registered with, the others never have any work in Bolton. I wouldn't be considered for these roles if I wasn't capable & they didn't see something in me. The volunteer behavior tutoring I did in 2016 has opened the door to these opportunities along with the support work I did last year. That was the 1st time I ever worked with challenging behavior & I was awarded behavior tutor of the week which you've gotta admit is impressive considering my depression . I've also took phone calls at a mental health service were I volunteered. Based on that you can't deny I'd be a good samaritan. I may not have years of experience but that's still more than many have & it's been varied from autistic kids to elderly. I may not have time regardless but I think I'd be a good samaritan for sure .
    Last edited by SA89; 21-05-19 at 09:00 PM.

Librarian and chief holder of antiquities and biscuits Jaquaia's Avatar
    A good Samaritan is empathetic and listens to people's darkest thoughts in an open-minded and non-judgemental manner. As I've not really seen you respond on others threads that often on here, I couldn't really comment on if you'd be good or not. Having depression does not automatically make someone a good Samaritan, it just means that they understand. Those other qualities are more important. I do agree with the others though that you may find it difficult if you're often feeling suicidal yourself. Maybe walk before you can run?

If you're serious about training to be a counsellor, I'd advise doing a lot of research. You need a level 4 diploma in counselling skills as a minimum. Level 1 and 2 are around 7 weeks each, level 3 is roughly 25 weeks and level 4 is around 2 years part time. Level 4 includes client work. You need to have student membership of BACP, have around 100 hours of client work, pay for around 20 hours personal counselling and pay for supervision too. You're only qualified after completion of level 4 and then need full membership of BACP. The costs I' looking at are £125, £220, £660 and almost £3,000 a year respectively, though level 4 is eligible for a tuition loan.
    Tên përdu, jhamâi së rëcôbro

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaquaia For This Useful Post:

Suzi (21-05-19)

Listening to people at their crisis points day in and day out is very different. I know how hard it can be and when you put that phone down and you don't know what course of action they take... It all takes it's toll..

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

Jaquaia (21-05-19)