Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nowhere To Turn

Thasc

Nowhere To Turn

Been to the drs no help there no help at work no help at home, work prob just getting worse don't know what to do

Librarian and chief holder of antiquities and biscuits Jaquaia's Avatar
    How much did you tell the doctor and what did they say?
    Tên përdu, jhamâi së rëcôbro

Thasc
    I told them I was having a work related issue and the only thing they suggested was to sign me off for a week which really didn't help, am back on antidepressants they don't seem to help either

Did you tell them exactly how you were feeling? How long were you on antidepressants before? Were you taking them evert day and for a prolonged period?

Sorry for all the questions

How long were you on ADs for previous? are you back on the same ones? It takes 4-8 weeks for ADs to get into your system, love, it’s not an instant cure, I’m afraid.

As for work, the doctor is limited to how they can help and signing you off may have given you time to weigh up your options. From their point of view, getting on top of the depression with ADs can help you manage work issues better. In terms of the practicalities, an organisation like Citizens Advice www.citizensadvice.org.uk May be able to help you understand your rights and what you are able to do to help with it
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Thasc
    I did but I didn't get any sympathy. I was taking antidepressants before for about five years because of being made redundant, had been doing without them now for three years now I have a new job and I've had this set back, can't talk to the folks at home without having a slanging match.

That's ok I appreciate you taking the time to talk to me

Thasc
    Quote Originally Posted by Paula View Post
    How long were you on ADs for previous? are you back on the same ones? It takes 4-8 weeks for ADs to get into your system, love, it’s not an instant cure, I’m afraid.

As for work, the doctor is limited to how they can help and signing you off may have given you time to weigh up your options. From their point of view, getting on top of the depression with ADs can help you manage work issues better. In terms of the practicalities, an organisation like Citizens Advice www.citizensadvice.org.uk May be able to help you understand your rights and what you are able to do to help with it
    Yes I'm back on the same ones I was on five years ago. I know what you are saying and thanks. Staying away from work I think will make things worse, the feeling of dread won't go away Thanks for the ca link.

Paula's right, they take time to work. Also, sometimes you'll find that the first, or even the second med won't work and it takes a while to find the right med or dose. If you're not happy with what the doctor has said then you are entitled to go and ask for a second opinion. You can also ask if there are any doctors who have an interest in mental health. Can you self-refer for counselling?

Thasc
    Thanks I don't think I can self refer. I'm just a bit all over the place and don't have anybody to talk to which is really really hard I don't know where to turn

Keep talking to us, lovely. Are you in an union?
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.