Page 26 of 101 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast

Thread: Trials and tribulations of a Yorkshire pudding

Mira
    Those are tough moments for sure. In my family there are a few alcoholics. And I have heard all the stories of why they drink but they are addicted.

Sometimes I feel your father is being self destructive. And what you said about what if you had that attitude resonates with me. I have the same. If I said after seeing 3 therapists I am done who knows what would be of me now....

Its important to keep trying. Its a shame your father does not see that. And like you said there is so much to be around for. You did forget to mention yourself. So I am doing that now.

Its a shame there is so much negativty around you at home at the moment. But please dont feel bad about making uni a priority.

It might be an idea to point out that they need to get their act together, because you aren't going to be there for much longer. If they don't help themselves it's not your responsibility Jaq. You have a life of your own and in the not too distant future you'll be living with J. What will they do then? Thank the Lord they have you there to help with everything. Blow the baking! I'm all for helping parents but not to the extent that it compromises my own well being. Any driving test on the horizon yet?

Librarian and chief holder of antiquities and biscuits Jaquaia's Avatar
    Nowhere near yet Flo, but I am driving pretty independently and feel pretty comfortable behind the wheel
    Tên përdu, jhamâi së rëcôbro

I agree with the others love. Maybe you need to tell them how you are feeling....
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

I've learned the hard way that it never makes a difference.

As Flo says, maybe you need to emphasise that you will be moving out soon and they need to find a way to help themselves.
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

I think Flo and Paula are right. I think you're going to have to slowly pass things back to them.... Training them to be self sufficient...
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaquaia View Post
    Nowhere near yet Flo, but I am driving pretty independently and feel pretty comfortable behind the wheel
    That's the most important thing...feeling confident and competent. It won't be long now!

I have been getting pretty blunt with my mum and getting my brother to back me up when he comes down. It doesn't do much good as she claims "she forgot"... As for moving out, I think I'm looking at a good year before that happens. But I am starting to have a life at least, J has been so good for me in that respect.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaquaia For This Useful Post:

OldMike (26-05-19),Suzi (26-05-19)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaquaia View Post
    But I am starting to have a life at least, J has been so good for me in that respect.
    Excuse me, missus! You’ve changed his life. When you think where he was a year ago, under her thumb, unable to leave, tormented, desperately unhappy? Hunni, you’ve done so much more for him than he’s done for you. Do not underestimate what you’ve done in his life
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

Jaquaia (26-05-19),Suzi (26-05-19)