Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Notre Dame Cathedral

Person of great awesomeness magie06's Avatar

Notre Dame Cathedral

I'm horrified to find out that this beautiful old building is on fire since earlier this evening.
    I visited here years ago when we brought 36 girl guides to Paris. My secondary school French came in very handy.
    A beautiful building full of history of hundreds of years gone by. You could almost hear the voices of those gone before.
    Such a shame.

Just awful .....
    ĎWhen all else fails, use glitter insteadí

Makaluluís Treasures can be found at https://www.facebook.com/Makalulus-T...1104380701269/

It's horrible. I wanted to take my girls, but now she'll be ruins and rubble So terribly sad.
    Please always remember that I am always right. I have a framed certificate to prove it.

When in doubt, stop and think... WWSS? (What Would Suzi Say?)
    For more info please see
    THIS thread

I remember standing in awe inside this beautiful cathedral looking up at the huge ceiling and transfixed at the ingenuity of the architect's and builders.
    A boat trip down the Seine will not be the same.
    Check out my Calandoniacrochet Facebook page.

Knight of Spamswotting by Highest order of Chufty Badges Jarre's Avatar
    It is very sad, they were havign some roofing work which includes alot of lead soldering and flashing which is potentially the cause., The fire fighters could not fight it from inside the building due to the unstable scaffolding and as you could see when the spire collapsed. They would ahev saved some of the priceless stuff inside as each of these places has a special plan, I was able to take part in an exercise at Lincoln cathederal with the fire service and the first 6 fire appliances are dutied to find water and start salvage work of specific items. The good news is a full 3d laser scan had been done of the building and a point cloud produced which is basically a full 3D computer model so they can restore and rebuild exactly how it was but that could take up to 10 years. And they may have to do some controlled demolition and propping to make the structure safe. It is a huge herritage loss but they will bring it abck from the ashes, its to important for them not to.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jarre For This Useful Post:

Flo (16-04-19),OldMike (16-04-19),Suzi (16-04-19)

Guardian of the North and kipper holder Angie's Avatar
    Its devastating
    If you canít fly, then run, if you canít run, then walk, if you canít walk, then crawl, but by all means keep moving.
    Quote by Martin Luther King JR

However Macron has vowed that Notre Dame be rebuilt to her former glory. Over 300m has been pledged to make sure it happens.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47943705
    Please always remember that I am always right. I have a framed certificate to prove it.

When in doubt, stop and think... WWSS? (What Would Suzi Say?)
    For more info please see
    THIS thread

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

Angie (16-04-19)

Guardian of the North and kipper holder Angie's Avatar
    It at least is still standing and they did rescue somethings other things are damaged but its now a case of finding out what is salvagable I suspect hopefully the structure can be repaired
    If you canít fly, then run, if you canít run, then walk, if you canít walk, then crawl, but by all means keep moving.
    Quote by Martin Luther King JR

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Angie For This Useful Post:

Flo (16-04-19),OldMike (16-04-19),Suzi (16-04-19)

Quote Originally Posted by Strugglingmum View Post
    I remember standing in awe inside this beautiful cathedral looking up at the huge ceiling and transfixed at the ingenuity of the architect's and builders.
    A boat trip down the Seine will not be the same.
    I remember the same! A fabulous building. What a shame!

I just read that there has been over 1B euro's pledged so far. And thats awesome. But it does make me think. There are so many important things that needs adressing. Why don't we look into "fixing" more things?