Thread: Fourth time lucky

Steve

Cool Fourth time lucky

Hello my name is Steve and I am a new member. I have had depression for 30 years but only sought treatment 20years ago. CBT and therapy plus SSRIs got me to a place of coping and I managed to complete my professional career successfully, retiring early at 57 last year. Three previous attempts at coming off the pills were unsuccessful but life is so much nicer now without the pressure of work so I am having another go. I have had a nice slow tapering from 20mg to 5mg Escitalopram and so far so good. A few of the usual withdrawal symptoms but so far no depression or the horrible zaps. The zaps Will probably come when I go to zero but fingers crossed that without having to go to work and act normal I will get through them. Hoping the sexual side effects will disappear (already better at 10mg) too. Will post my progress as not many success stories on the forums I have read and I think we need them. Look forward to joining in with you all on here.

Librarian and chief holder of antiquities and biscuits Jaquaia's Avatar
    Hi and welcome!
    Tên përdu, jhamâi së rëcôbro

Hi and welcome Steve
    77 and counting, less of the "Old" call me "Mike"

Hi and welcome it is lovely to hear your positivity
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Mira
    Hello Steve, welcome here. Nice to meet you.

Hi Steve! Welcome to the forum!
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Steve
    Thanks for all the welcomes. Another week passed and the physical withdrawal from 10mg to 5mg now gone. Still no zaps or depression and the sex dysfunction also now gone (which after nearly 20 years is great). Two more weeks at 5mg then I go for the big leap of faith into zero land.

Just checking, your Dr is aware of you doing this aren't they?

Steve
    Don’t worry Suzi. Before taking this life changing action I went to see my NHS GP for a thorough consultation- a young woman who I had never met before and who was so efficient I was in and out of there in 5 minutes so I am well looked after.

5 minutes never feels long enough for something like this though does it? Glad you covered all bases lovely!