Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I want to smile again for real *TRIGGERS*

Oh Nick, did you think long term lithium definitely leads to serious health Problems? I’ve been on Lithium since 2007 (priadel too) and, other than thyroid issues, which are managed with meds, I’ve been fine. Obviously there is the potential for difficulties but as long as you look after yourself, have regular blood tests and are careful if you are ill, dieting etc, there’s no reason why you should have those difficulties. Lithium is a safe medication, if used correctly. As for the swallowing problem, yes they’re chalky but there’s ways of getting round them. If you’re taking the 400mg tablets, have you thought about breaking them in half to make it easier to swallow. Or maybe asking for your meds in 200mg (eg taking 4 x 200 rather than 2 x 400?)

Please, please don’t miss doses, with any medication that makes it harder to manage it and that’s particularly true with Lithium. The truth is that, if you take it responsibly and look after yourself, it’s a very effective medication and, truthfully, it’s the one drug I take that I would absolutely refuse to be taken off. It’s changed my life.
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

Suzi (24-04-19)

EJ
    I’m taking Piradel which comprises of two 400mg tablets and one 200mg tablet. I also take one 45mg tablet of mirtazapine and one montelukast. I tend to take them all at once with plenty of water. I think about the risks of taking lithium and the risks to my kidney and thyroid but I take regular blood test which would pick up any adverse effects. long term it has enabled me to work full time and be active in my social life. Ive never missed a dose but I know with Luther meds missed I’ve been weepy and unable to cope. Lithium works by having a certain level in the drug unique to you. Too much of the drug then it is liable to be toxic and dangerous, too little and it is not being effective and doing its job properly. It has ironed out the peaks and troughs in my emotions although I am not bipolar. My depression was difficult to treat before lithium. I have had several hospital admissions and many different therapies.
    I do not see a psychiatrist regularly now but my last psychiatrist would not take me off it. I would not want to jeopardise my mental health for the sake of lithium. I’m not sure of the quality of my life without it if I have any quality of life at all. Life was very difficult without it.
    Last edited by EJ; 24-04-19 at 02:34 PM.