Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: General help and advice with depression + therapy

Do you know why you are feeling worse?
    Remind me are you taking meds? When did you last have a meds review?
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

What advisor? It’s usually not wise to have two separate therapies at he same time
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Logan
    Quote Originally Posted by Paula View Post
    What advisor? It’s usually not wise to have two separate therapies at he same time
    Hi, it is to see an employment advisor.

I do not want to go and see them, I felt bullied into saying yes.

Logan
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
    Do you know why you are feeling worse?
    Remind me are you taking meds? When did you last have a meds review?
    Because feeling bullied into seeing a job advisor by the therapist. I have been feeling very low for since the last session. I had a review in feb.

Why do they want you to see a job adviser?
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Prycejosh1987
    Quote Originally Posted by Logan View Post
    Hi,

brief overview, I have been struggling with depression since 2008, I have been on a bunch of meds. Last year I was really struggling and decided to sign up for some therapy, I got 17 sessions of CBT from a therapist which I think helped me understand more about the depression, and how to try and deal with it. I do think that helped. But I kept thinking more of my troubles come from the past and that is what is making me feel depressed and we did touch upon this and we worked together and put a plan into place to try and put things in throughout the year to look forward to, which I have done.

However, around December, I had just a sudden wave of low mood, I was just picking up my cup of tea and it was like a switch had gone of in my head. I had finished with CBT for about 8-10 weeks at that point and was doing well, I was feeling more positive about things and then when that low mood came in I panicked. I tried to do the CBT stuff but it was not working, and I did not know what to do. I ended up at the gps and asked about CBT again. I reached out to the therapist I saw and I was put back on the list.

I was unable to see the same therapist this time, so it is someone different, I have seen her twice now, but doing some of the homework set has brought up memories that could possibly be effecting me somehow but I do not know why or how.

Also, I am not sure about this new therapist, she comes across as more stern and more serious.

for example, I am going out of the house, but it does take a lot of work to leave and I do get anxious about leaving the house. I am ok when I am out, and sometimes my mind drift and I do want to go home, but I focus on something around me, which my first therapist told me to do. I have also set different things to do each month that I do not do everyday, which me and my first therapist talked about . but this new one wants me to do something totally different. I am like, what? and when? I can not drive, so I have to rely on buses and some stop at certain times. I am not really interested in a lot of things and things I am interested in are too far to travel.

Should I ask her about what other options are other than CBT ?

Does anyone know what other options there are?

could it be that this therapist is not right for me? But could be great for someone else?
    It doesnt matter what therapist you see. Their messages are the same although the message variates. You really need to think differently yourself and really think about what they say to you. Take it on baord but listening and coping will not change the outcome of your depression. Its more of a state of mind then an illness. Medication can help you cope with depression but it will not solve the problems. It will not deal with whatever makes you depressed. Only you can deal with it and you have to confront it and make the changes in baby steps.

Quote Originally Posted by Prycejosh1987 View Post
    It doesnt matter what therapist you see. Their messages are the same although the message variates. You really need to think differently yourself and really think about what they say to you. Take it on baord but listening and coping will not change the outcome of your depression. Its more of a state of mind then an illness. Medication can help you cope with depression but it will not solve the problems. It will not deal with whatever makes you depressed. Only you can deal with it and you have to confront it and make the changes in baby steps.
    I’m sorry, but I disagree. Depression IS an illness. In my case, my psychiatrist told me a long time ago that, with my family history, I ‘never stood a chance’. My illness is predominantly inherited and has nothing to do with state of mind or past trauma. The only treatment for me is medication - proven recently in a change in (non psychiatric) medication causing me to spiral into a MH crisis within a matter of days.

Of course, for many, there is a link to past trauma and/or what’s going on in their lives but that’s not the whole story. Please do not tell other members it’s ‘all in their mind’. Not only is it untrue, it’s also extremely unhelpful - and can make people feel they’re making it up.

I can't agree strongly enough with Paula.
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

nena21
    Hi all,

Extensive research is being done in order to find out ways to handle anxiety disorder and depression, which has also become a more widespread problem being faced by many across the world. Deep breathing techniques and meditation techniques are one of the best ways to counter this issue. Also have a look at one of the techniques, removed link as per DWD policywhich is rather a new field of research looking for creative solutions for people dealing with traumas, anxiety and depression through creative expression in form of art, music and writing.
    Last edited by Paula; 07-08-21 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Removed link as per DWD policy

Hi Nena

I’ve removed your link as DWD policy is that we don’t allow external links until we have a chance to get to know new members a bit.

Also, this thread is over a year old so events have probably moved on since then, including that this person is now no longer a member…..

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

Suzi (07-08-21)