Thread: Time for new meds ?

Time for new meds ?

Hi all, I've been on 30mg of Citalopram a day for nearly 20 years now, during the last 3 weeks my state of mind has got really bad, worse last week while on a weeks holiday in Madeira with my wife. The negative thoughts and anxiety have returned as bad as they were 20 years ago. I've had 2 or 3 dips in that 20 years and after a visit to the docs and a tweak of the doseage things improved. Everytime I have these 'dips' my anxiety is always centred on negative thoughts and feelings about my wife (of 23 years), constant stomach knot and tense neck but when the 'dip' passes I know I love her and wouldn't be without her (she is fortunately very supportive but at the same time understandably worried). After some research I've come across a condition called 'relationship anxiety' and wondered if anyone else has suffered in a similar way. I have an appointment with my GP tomorrow and wonder if a change of meds would be beneficial as I've also read the body becomes immune to one AD after a long period of use. I'm hoping the 'relationship anxiety' is linked to depression and so new AD's will sort this out. Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated.

I’ve not heard of relationship anxiety, but I am very ‘good’ at trying to push my husband away ‘before he pushes me away’ itms? Anyone here will tell you there is no way he would ever push me away, and he doesn’t allow me to push him away, but my mind basically lies to me. And I know I’m not the only one.

I’d ask about changing the AD and that may help. But you need to be aware that you’ll have the time it takes to make the changeover plus 6-8 weeks before the new meds will begin to help.

Just for future record, none of us are medically trained here so we don’t offer advice, just support from people who get it.
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.